DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   $3000 Hd110u? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/88709-3000-hd110u.html)

Brian Orser March 11th, 2007 07:26 PM

$3000 Hd110u?

Hey everyone. I just found a JVC HD110U brand new in box for $3020. Too good to be true right? It was on ebay, and looked a little sketchy, just because it was all too good. But I bought it anyways. Im going to use an escrow company, which will hold the money from the seller until I have received and approved the item.

For those of you who dont know, the lowest legit price on these things brand-new right now is like $4500 at least. Ebay (through paypal) covers me up to $2000, but there's the $1000 I have left to lose. However I figure, that the escrow insures that I receive something. If it turns out to not be new in box, then I can send it back.

However, my main concern is that it will be refurbished and will be packaged to look new. Is this true? Do refurbished items look brand new? Is there any sign by which I might know? Can I check the serial number with JVC? Anyways, I'll have a few days to verify that it is as described, in which I can reject it. This is very unlike me, to make such an impulse buy from such a sketchy source, but I am pretty well covered from getting screwed. Im more worried about being subtly screwed (refurbished). I couldn't help it. So cheap :).

Any ideas, help, concerns, are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

Daniel Weber March 11th, 2007 07:40 PM

Brian,

Not sure if JVC will help you since you didn't buy from an authorized dealer.

Hopefully Carl Hicks will respond to your email.

I hope it works out for you, but I would have a bad feeling about this deal if I were you. I just don't trust deals that sound to good to be true.

Good luck,

Dan Weber

John Bosco Jr. March 11th, 2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Orser (Post 639981)
Hey everyone. I just found a JVC HD110U brand new in box for $3020. Too good to be true right? It was on ebay, and looked a little sketchy, just because it was all too good. But I bought it anyways. Im going to use an escrow company, which will hold the money from the seller until I have received and approved the item.

For those of you who dont know, the lowest legit price on these things brand-new right now is like $4500 at least. Ebay (through paypal) covers me up to $2000, but there's the $1000 I have left to lose. However I figure, that the escrow insures that I receive something. If it turns out to not be new in box, then I can send it back.

However, my main concern is that it will be refurbished and will be packaged to look new. Is this true? Do refurbished items look brand new? Is there any sign by which I might know? Can I check the serial number with JVC? Anyways, I'll have a few days to verify that it is as described, in which I can reject it. This is very unlike me, to make such an impulse buy from such a sketchy source, but I am pretty well covered from getting screwed. Im more worried about being subtly screwed (refurbished). I couldn't help it. So cheap :).

Any ideas, help, concerns, are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

I'm not sure what's included in your package since you did not mention it. Are you buying a US model? If you are, be aware that it could be a grey market model that doesn't include the normal manufacturer's US accessories or warranty. As far as being refurbished or not, you might be able to check the serial number; however, JVC might not have that information, only when the camera was made. Another red flag that it is refurbished is it probably won't have a new camera blank warranty card enclosed. Other than that I don't know, unless you get a tech to actually look inside the camera. A note of warning: I hope this escrow company is a company you chose and not the seller. Make sure it's a legit company. Some scams have been reported where the other party set up a phony escrow company. Also, if you're paying by PayPal, I don't think you are able to use an escrow company as PayPal puts the money into the seller's account when the transaction is completed. Another scam is fake PayPal emails. You should pay for your item from the original listing on Ebay. In my opinion, you would be better off buying from an authorized dealer.

Kit Hannah March 11th, 2007 08:17 PM

Make sure the Escrow company is Ebay's Escrow company - otherwise, you're giving your money away.... Also, is the seller a reputable seller? I sure hate to see people get scammed. If you think something is fishy, it probably is.

And just so you know, if you get screwed out of $3000, it was not a good deal.

Robert M Wright March 11th, 2007 08:22 PM

Does it include a lens? ...or batteries and such? 3000 is to low even for factory refurbished. It would be awfully surprising to find out this is on the up and up.

Kit Hannah March 11th, 2007 08:26 PM

I just found your auction.....it's definately a scam. The fellow you purchased it from has "0" feedback and has been registered for 5 days. They are selling 2 other expensive items that are also too good to be true - just low enough so you go "WOW, what a great deal, but still enough to make them their paycheck for the month.

And it does say "none" right before it describes the lens - so even if you get the camera body, you still have to go buy a lens at $2000.

Brian - I promise you that this is a scam - I would bet money on it. I have been using ebay for a very long time - we are Ebay Powersellers and I can almost guarantee that this is a scam. If you want to lose your money, that is up to you, but I would definately take Daniel and John's advice and buy from an authorized dealer.

Good luck, I just hate to see people lose their money. I don't want to be saying "I told you so" next week after you post that some guy took you for $3000. Run like the wind my friend.

Dylan Couper March 11th, 2007 08:34 PM

Hey, most of the scammers have fake escrow companies. I wouldn't worry about getting a refurbished HD110 at that price... I'd worry about getting box of old newspapers. Unless it was really Ebay's escrow company, I'd do everything I could to get my money back, ASAP.

Chris Hurd March 11th, 2007 09:38 PM

Just a reminder -- we direct *all* where to buy questions to our site sponsors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Ebay is not one of them. Thanks,