DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HZ-CA13U (COPLA) sample footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/91896-hz-ca13u-copla-sample-footage.html)

Stephan Ahonen April 22nd, 2007 01:40 AM

Aha, that certainly explains things a bit. It's a different thing entirely when it's just a tech demo and you're the guy who approached them instead of the other way around... I thought these were videos you shot for clients.

Liam Hall April 22nd, 2007 02:26 AM

Fabulous stuff Tim and thanks for sharing. Nice to see the old pantyhose trick hasn't been superseeded by a fcp plug-in (I hope they were silk BTW).

Some of the earlier comments about the videos made me laugh. What do people want for $0? I've directed technical test films and promos for Kodak and some of the comments those films got still make me laugh.

Liam.

Stephan Ahonen April 22nd, 2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 664987)
Some of the earlier comments about the videos made me laugh. What do people want for $0?

Tim didn't exactly make it clear in his inital post that these were tech demos and not an actual products for clients.

Liam Hall April 22nd, 2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen (Post 664999)
Tim didn't exactly make it clear in his inital post that these were tech demos and not an actual products for clients.

I hear you Stephan and I'm usually one of the first to offer my opinion. It's more that it reminded me of some of daft things people have said about some of the technical films I've made.

Cheers,

Liam.

Jack Walker April 22nd, 2007 02:25 PM

Thank you Douglas, this helps. I will be using Liquid and the situation seems very similar to FCP.

I have done many multi-camera edits, so this isn't a problem with Liquid.

Out of curiosity, how is the synch handled on a big commercial shoot where they are obviously not doing full takes of the song and there are hundreds and hundreds of short takes?

How was the synch handled on the old film musicals? Thanks!

Michael Maier April 22nd, 2007 04:31 PM

Tim, Ariana’s video looks pretty nice. I like the cinematography and editing a lot.
But it has a very milky look to it. I wonder if it’s the Russian lens. Some Lomos have that same milky look. Also, it doesn’t impress me in the sharpness department. Nowhere as sharp as even the cheap stock 16x. But I guess as you used a pantyhose you wanted the soft look. It would be great to see stuff shot without any diffusion or maybe with better optics.
The Elissa video looked like DV stuff for me. But it may be just me.

John Mitchell April 22nd, 2007 10:01 PM

Great work Tim - thanks for posting these. I've been hanging out to see somethign shot with the adapter. A couple of questions:

1. How does the COPLA work - is it a projected image adapter?
2. How many stops of light did you lose?
3. Is the CA I'm seeing (mostly in the da boom song) typical of the lens or a product of the adapter (sorry I'm not really familiar with the lens)

Thanks mate.

Matt Norman April 23rd, 2007 06:10 PM

Awesome job Tim

Hi ya Tim,

Stunning work on your behalf. Looks beautiful. Great job.

Giuseppe Pugliese April 30th, 2008 07:55 AM

I know this post is a bit old, but the first link isn't working without a password... is there anyway i could see this link reposting or something?

Tim Dashwood April 30th, 2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 869949)
I know this post is a bit old, but the first link isn't working without a password... is there anyway i could see this link reposting or something?

I fixed the link and directed it straight to the media file. Right-click and "save as" or "Download linked file as..." It is 35MB.

I actually have some other performance videos and short films shot with the Russian lens as well. I'll have to get those uploaded.

Levi Bethune April 30th, 2008 11:13 AM

Tim, thanks for putting the entire video up. I saw the tutorial you did for the 60p to 24p "overcrank" on the ProHD website(and I eagerly await my DVD) but I'm grateful for the videos you put up because I'm trying to convince a local artist to learn his song at 250 times the original speed, and to show him a completed, albeit tech demo, look, is very helpful. Again, thanks.

And I thought the videos were splendid and really helps show off what the JVC is capable of, in the right hands.

Thanks for the inspiration and the helping hand.

G. Lee Gordon May 2nd, 2008 12:04 AM

Tim, I'm reading all of this feedback for your video and... Sh@t, I thought it was pretty damn good if you ask me. But that's just my humble opinion.