DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Dropouts on tape and SSE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/92124-dropouts-tape-sse.html)

Brian Luce April 23rd, 2007 05:54 PM

Anyone know how much JVC charges to fix the dropout problem?

Gil Whitney April 23rd, 2007 08:07 PM

Only had SSE twice, both times the camera was very cold. After about 5 minutes I could see the split become more faint and then disappear. dvcam tapes since day one, no drop outs, plus the case can take bouncing around the camera bag better than standard minidv cases.

Daniel Weber April 24th, 2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 666037)
Anyone know how much JVC charges to fix the dropout problem?

Brian,

I hope to know as soon as I send my camera in for repair. I am going to try one more thing that Ken Freed suggested before sending it it.

Dan Weber

Daniel Weber April 26th, 2007 02:30 PM

Well I now have an update.

I ordered a Panasonic Head Cleaner and after 2 passes through the camera, the tapes now play back fine.

I will now load all 3 hours of my footage into my FCP system and see if we have any playback problems.

I will keep everyone updated.

Dan Weber

Daniel Weber April 27th, 2007 05:46 PM

Well now the camera is on its way to JVC Repair in NJ.

I tried to capture some footage and the camera started to show dropouts on the monitor.

I also found a new problem. I had timecode breaks every 4 or 5 seconds on the tape when capturing in Final Cut Pro.

I even tried to capture the footage as Apple AIC codec and had more time code problems.

The camera now has real issues.

Hopefully JVC can fix it in the next week or so.

Time to start pulling out my hair!!!!

Dan Weber

John Mitchell April 29th, 2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 668817)
Well now the camera is on its way to JVC Repair in NJ.

I also found a new problem. I had timecode breaks every 4 or 5 seconds on the tape when capturing in Final Cut Pro.

Dan Weber

Dan that problem sounds specifically like one that was addressed by the "A" update. See sticky on this forum.

Daniel Weber April 30th, 2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell (Post 669687)
Dan that problem sounds specifically like one that was addressed by the "A" update. See sticky on this forum.

That is the weird part. My camera has the "A" upgrade, I bought it new that way.

I have edited several projects shot with the camera and never had a problem.

The only change I made to the camera was changing it from 720p24 to 720p30 and loading in the TCv3 scene file.

Dan Weber

Brian Luce May 1st, 2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 669790)
That is the weird part. My camera has the "A" upgrade, I bought it new that way.

I have edited several projects shot with the camera and never had a problem.

The only change I made to the camera was changing it from 720p24 to 720p30 and loading in the TCv3 scene file.

Dan Weber

Hmmmm...I also have the "A" and also made those two changes. And I also get drop outs. Could 30p be problematic somehow?

Daniel Weber May 18th, 2007 09:39 PM

Update on my camera.

I just got it back from JVC today. I haven't had a chance to put it back together and test it yet and I won't for a few weeks since I will be out of the country.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to JVC and a special thanks to Ken Freed for stepping up the plate and supporting my camera big time.

The camera was 3 weeks out of warranty and they still picked up the repair bill. It ended up saving me over $700 in repairs.

Great support on JVC's part!!!

Dan Weber