DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Your JVC workflow: (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/96628-your-jvc-workflow.html)

Dan G. Brown June 15th, 2007 04:03 PM

Your JVC workflow:

I've was an earlier adopter of the HD100. I love my camera, but in the time that I've had it, i've learned a lot about how to adjust my workflow to get the best possible look/quality. If you've had your camera for a while, you'll quickly learn tricks, settings, and 3rd party programs (streamclip etc.) to help you out.

People have posted their workflow in various posts, but it would be really helpful to me if there was a centralized place for people to post their workflow (and examples hopefully) that they use with their HD 100/110/200/250. Particuraly when it comes to 720p60p, 720p24p or 720p30p.

I'm working up a post to explain mine, but I'm still having a hard time with dropped frames (perhaps my biggest problem, but i've started using streamclip), some lossy compression, and of course I feel as though my camera is not fully supported by FCP. Perhaps no one else is curious, but if you have a spare minute, post your workflow that you use to deliver your final after shooting on your JVC.

Dan Brown (the filmmaker, not the author)
www.everglowmedia.com

Vince DeMaar June 15th, 2007 04:57 PM

I record HD111 material onto DR-HD100. After that, i connect DR-HD100 to my Mac Pro and just copy the files onto FCP project folder, import new files into FCP, and that's it. Very fast and convenient. No single glitch, no dropped frames etc. Minimalistic, yet solid.

Augie Arredondo June 15th, 2007 05:24 PM

Hd110. Firewire into Final Cut. Edit HDV. Automatic Duck import into AE. Set to 32 bit color. then do CC, FX and titling and render out.

Brian Mills June 15th, 2007 11:55 PM

I've been happy using Apple AIC codec over firewire to capture/edit with. I do 30P and not 24P work of course. It's like having scene detection on by creating a new clip for each start/stop of the camera BUT it does not lose the first few seconds of every clip or break a single clip into two as I have heard is common in native HDV capture.

Another bonus is the I frame editing makes for much faster renders.

Chris Cherrett June 16th, 2007 04:20 AM

I run on Linux and my workflow is centered around 3D.

I connect my GY-HD100 via firewire to my computer and use a command line program called mpeg2encode to import the mpeg file. I then bring the file into blender (my 3d application) and load it into the compositor for color correction and integration into a 3D scene.

If I need to pull an image sequence I run mplayer (because it is fast) to extract the sequence in tga/targa files and bring it into blender for compositing.

It all works very well I just need to get better at video recording. I am a bit of a video newbie! :)

Glen Vandermolen June 16th, 2007 08:03 AM

How many of you are using the camera as a playback deck? I just purchased my HD200, and my next purchase will be the BR-DH50 VTR. I highly recommend a dedicated playback deck. In the long run it will be worth the money. Plus, you don't tie up the camera in the edit bay when it could be out shooting pics.
As far as workflow, which is better for importing the best video - firewire or the component cables? Too bad the DH50 doesn't have an HD/SDI output.