DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Acquired a set of wide angle adapters - Are these usable on an HD-100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/96768-acquired-set-wide-angle-adapters-these-usable-hd-100-a.html)

William Hohauser June 17th, 2007 08:36 PM

Acquired a set of wide angle adapters - Are these usable on an HD-100?

A friend recently liquidated his video business and I got a few bits and pieces for free. Among the bits and pieces are a set of Century Optics wide angle adapters that he used on his old Ikegami BetacamSP camcorder. One is a C4996 wide angle lens and the second is a C5034 super wide angle lens that screws onto the C4996. Both lenses are obsolete and don't appear on the Century/Schneider web site.

Are these usable at all on my HD-100 with the standard Fuji lens? The adapters came with a clamp on attachment that's just a bit too small for the HD-100 Fuji lens. Century has a clamp on attachment for the Fuji lens but I'm wondering if these adapters are not suitable for HD imaging.

Stephan Ahonen June 17th, 2007 10:52 PM

Why are you asking us? Just try it and see what it looks like. If it physically won't fit on the lens, try to mod it so it will.

Chris Hurd June 17th, 2007 11:24 PM

I would have to agree with Stephen... you have the parts, you have the camera, so it's up to you to try it out and see what works and what doesn't. And by sharing the results and reporting your findings here, you'll be helping out your fellow members. Thanks in advance,

Jack Walker June 17th, 2007 11:32 PM

You can also call Century and ask if there is an adapter for these, and if the glass is different than the ones they currently sell.

It sounds similar to the set they have sold for years, and a quick call to them (they will put you in touch with the right lady if you call Van Nuys) may answer your technical questions.

(Note: to use any Century clamp on adapter on the HD100 stock lens you need a filter or other stiffening ring to make the lens barrel rigid at the end.)

Chris Hurd June 18th, 2007 07:01 AM

The main thing to watch out for is to carefully observe the mounting process and make sure that the glass elements of the adapter and the lens do not come in contact with each other.

William Hohauser June 18th, 2007 04:58 PM

Thanks for steering me to the Van Nuys office. That put me in contact with a very knowledgeable man named Dave who was familiar with the obsolete adapters. The first person I talked to was forthright about his ignorance of older Century products and connected me with Dave. A very pleasant experience.

A reasonably priced clamp on ring and a screw in adapter (to prevent contact between the lens and the adapter) is apparently all I need to get the wide angle lenses to work. The focus is by the macro adjustment and no zooming allowed.

I should get the parts soon and I'll post some results. Perhaps some still captures as well.

PS: I was asking since I respect the opinions of most of the people on this board and I wasn't getting a good response in my own feeble inquiries. Perhaps someone here already had experienced these adapters with the HD-100. It was worth a question, right?

However, Mr. Walker's suggestion was the kick in the right direction I needed . Thank you again.