DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hope for a cheap(er) v-wedge plate for the 110U! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/99300-hope-cheap-er-v-wedge-plate-110u.html)

Matthew Rogers July 19th, 2007 10:21 AM

Hope for a cheap(er) v-wedge plate for the 110U!

So I have been painfully searching the web for any way to get a v-wedge mount to go on the bottom of my 110U. Today, I think I may have hit pay dirt: http://www.cavision.com/rods/RSPU.htm

It says it slides on the Sony VCT-14U, and seems to have the correct screw placements for the 110!

I emailed Cavision to see what they say, but what do you all think?

Matthew

Matthew Rogers July 19th, 2007 07:54 PM

Bernie from Cavision emailed me back tonight, and said, yes that part will fit in the Sony VTC-U14 plate. Therefore, I am now going to order it! I will post an update when it arrives and I get it on my 110U.

Matthew

Brendan Walsh July 20th, 2007 05:32 PM

V-mount

I'm using this v-mount right now with my 110 and an older sony quick release plate on a cartoni focus head. It works great and you can even add rails to the v-mount if you'd like.

The only drawback to this plate is that it did not come with screws to attach it to the camera body. I tried the local hardware store and couldn't find anything that would fit quite right, so I ended up getting the screws from a JVC service center for an exorbitant price.

Matthew Rogers July 20th, 2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Walsh (Post 716010)
I'm using this v-mount right now with my 110 and an older sony quick release plate on a cartoni focus head. It works great and you can even add rails to the v-mount if you'd like.

The only drawback to this plate is that it did not come with screws to attach it to the camera body. I tried the local hardware store and couldn't find anything that would fit quite right, so I ended up getting the screws from a JVC service center for an exorbitant price.

That's great to know. I ordered it from B&H today, but they are out of stock (something about, "we only order it when someone orders it" duh, that's what I call a "special order", not out of stock!) so I'm probably about two weeks away from getting it. I am thinking of trying Radio Shack for the screws. It seems like they would carry that small sized screw.

Matthew

Laszlo Horvath July 21st, 2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers (Post 714547)
Bernie from Cavision emailed me back tonight, and said, yes that part will fit in the Sony VTC-U14 plate. Therefore, I am now going to order it! I will post an update when it arrives and I get it on my 110U.

Matthew

Good to kmow Matthew. How much you paid for this little "wedge"?

Laszlo

Matthew Rogers July 21st, 2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath (Post 716154)
Good to know Matthew. How much you paid for this little "wedge"?

It was $75 with shipping from B&H. Much better than $200 from JVC!

Matthew

Laszlo Horvath July 22nd, 2007 08:17 AM

Wow... good deal

Thanks Matthew

Laszlo

Matthew Rogers August 15th, 2007 03:58 PM

So I got the part yesterday, but now I can't find the correct size screw. 8-32 is too big and while 6-32 isn't too bad, I can't find them shorter than 1/2":( What it looks like I need is 7-32 x 1/4" (which isn't made..sigh..) Does anyone know where I could get the screws without paying JVC $17 for 4 screws? The correct size would be wonderful.

thanks,

Matthew

Bill Ravens August 15th, 2007 04:04 PM

Have you checked metric screw sizes?

Matthew Rogers August 15th, 2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 729564)
Have you checked metric screw sizes?

I had hoped that maybe metric screws would fit, but it's hard to find that kinda stuff at Home Depot or Lowes (I even tried Radio Shack.) I could probably find what I need online, but I need to know the size first.

Matthew

Andreas Nistler August 16th, 2007 02:42 AM

I use an "ENG rig" (see http://varizoom.com/products/supports/vzengrig.html) with my HD100. BTW, it's very comfortable because it takes away the load from your right hand.

The screw size is "M 4 x 10" with a countersunk head. M stands for metric.

Andreas

Steve Oakley August 16th, 2007 11:11 PM

if the screws you get are too long, cut them. put a nut on, cut the screw, run the nut off the end to clean the threads. I knew that at age 10 or 12. and yes they are metric. run some english threads in and you'll mess it up.

Stephen Knapp August 21st, 2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers (Post 729572)
I had hoped that maybe metric screws would fit, but it's hard to find that kinda stuff at Home Depot or Lowes

Matthew

I ran into this on another project. That's when I found out that home improvement centers are not the same as hardware stores. Try a True Value or an Ace or something in your area that is about hardware not home improvement per se. For metric I connected on a local True Value.

Good luck.

Matthew Rogers August 21st, 2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp (Post 732259)
I ran into this on another project. That's when I found out that home improvement centers are not the same as hardware stores. Try a True Value or an Ace or something in your area that is about hardware not home improvement per se. For metric I connected on a local True Value.

Actually, this is really funny, I was looking for 4x10mm countersunk screws on the internet and guess what kept coming up....hobby stores! So I went down to my local Hobby Town USA and they had the perfect screws (They are made of RC cars) $2.50 for 6 screws. Can't beat that!

Matthew

Steve Oakley August 21st, 2007 10:17 PM

uh, hardware - screws, bolts, nuts come in different grades or strength ratings. the bigger the number, the stronger the bolt. grade 2 is the weakest, and is usually sold by the pound. grade 5 is middle ground, and grade 8+ is the upper end. for the small stuff, I preffer stainless steel. won't round out like cheaper screws, won't rust in the hole, and I never doubt its going to hold. The last thing I'd use is aluminum screws or bolts for a camera.... and yes they make them. They work fine for holding the load they are rated for, but when it comes to camera mounting parts, is stainless or grade 8 or I pass. not worth saving 15 cents...