DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Which method and format to export into (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/478451-method-format-export-into.html)

Philip Calodoukas May 10th, 2010 04:57 PM

Which method and format to export into

Hi
Ive just started filming with the GY-HM100 and FCP [v 7.0.1] says the uploaded files are XCDCAM EX 1080i50 [35 Mb/s VBR] format. So now i want to edit them and save the best parts in the same quality I filmed them in.

I have tried so many different methods using File>Export>QuickTime Movie or File>Export QuickTime Conversion. I tried saving the edited files to XDCAM EX 1080i50 VBR which is the closest i can think of to the original. But when i view the saved files I have definitely lost quality. Its like in between each frame there is blurring, like i need to tick a de-interlace box somewhere.

Can someone please tell me the way [ie QT Conversion, or QT Movie] and format to save my edited files without losing any quality as i will be storing these on my hard disk for the long term

Thanks
Philip

George Kilroy May 11th, 2010 08:35 AM

I've also just started to use SDHC card capture and have the same concern. As the capture is a compressed mpeg2 in an .MOV or .MP4 guise any further rendering of the file to another compressed format will involve a degree of information loss and consequential drop in picture quality. I can only think that the best way to preserve original quality is to clone the original capture files and store those along with any work projects and so enable the future possibility of re-building the edited master and allow for further reworking. The only other way is to export an uncompressed avi but that would take up enormous amounts of disc space and somewhat diminish one of the benefits of working in mpeg formats.

I'll be interested to hear other views on this or better solutions.

Michael Mackay May 11th, 2010 10:49 AM

I have just started to edit my first use of the JVC using FCP and have to say the quality is fantastic! I shot in mov format and imported to FCP simply by copying the files from the SDHC card. Editing them and saving as a Quicktime self-contained movie and I have found none of the blurring mentioned.

Checking the format and mine is the same as the OP - XCDCAM EX 1080i50.

My understanding is the exporting as QT Movie means you export with no conversion and no loss of quality.

Mike

Steve Cottrell May 12th, 2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Calodoukas (Post 1525375)
Hi
Ive just started filming with the GY-HM100 and FCP [v 7.0.1] says the uploaded files are XCDCAM EX 1080i50 [35 Mb/s VBR] format. So now i want to edit them and save the best parts in the same quality I filmed them in.

I have tried so many different methods using File>Export>QuickTime Movie or File>Export QuickTime Conversion. I tried saving the edited files to XDCAM EX 1080i50 VBR which is the closest i can think of to the original. But when i view the saved files I have definitely lost quality. Its like in between each frame there is blurring, like i need to tick a de-interlace box somewhere.

Can someone please tell me the way [ie QT Conversion, or QT Movie] and format to save my edited files without losing any quality as i will be storing these on my hard disk for the long term

Thanks
Philip

Exporting from the FCP timeline, use Export as QuickTime Movie to retain highest quality. If you export as QT conversion, it will compress your footage!

Cheers,

SteveC

Philip Calodoukas May 13th, 2010 02:24 AM

Which method and format to export into

Thanks Steve

I have already tried your suggestion prior to my original post, ie. Export>QT Movie from Timeline.

You say it retains the highest quality. Does this mean it still loses visible quality? [if so cant understand why]... because the results i am getting are slightly blurry when i look at frame by frame.

Thanks
Philip

Paul Haskell May 13th, 2010 08:12 AM

Philip - I don't have an answer for you, but here's my two cents.

I've been using the GY-HM100 and FCP for about a year now. Although I don't have much to compare to, I like the camera and the process.

If I want to save my sequence to the original file format, I use Export > QT Movie, as has been mentioned, but I don't try to pick my original settings (1080i60), but just use "Current Settings" in the Save dialog. Saving with Quicktime conversion should be used when another format is needed.

I haven't noticed any blurring. I compared a couple of clips this morning and they seem identical to my eye. (Both show interlacing, when just viewing a frame.)

Also, addressing the subject of long term storage (which should perhaps be another thread?), the camera .mov format file cannot be opened unless FCP 6.0.6 or greater is installed (providing the necessary codec). At this point I might choose to save as ProRes422 for long term storage.

I gotta get to work ... paul

Philip Calodoukas May 14th, 2010 01:51 AM

Thanks for your help guys
Im still seeing interlacing but perhaps its the best i can get
Appreciate it
Philip