DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Z1 and EX1r owners: how does the JVC HM100 compare? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/489965-z1-ex1r-owners-how-does-jvc-hm100-compare.html)

Federico Perale January 10th, 2011 04:56 AM

Z1 and EX1r owners: how does the JVC HM100 compare?

I am really tingled about this camcorder, small and powerful

I currently use a Z1 (that I am selling) and a nice EX1r, but I always look for a small portable and usable camcorder and the HM100 seems to fit the bill

still..... for me portability is as important as low light capability, and that's my main question: how do the 1/4 sensor really perform in low light?
has anyone tried to compare the JVC with the Z1, that is an older camera but with 1/3 sensors?
obviously I expect the EX1r to crush the JVC in every sense but that's not the point

also: any JVC HM100 users has been able to use the files in Vegas 8? I am aware that it can output to MPEG4, but I seem to remember that only Vegas 9 supports native MPEG4

cheers
Fed

Buba Kastorski January 10th, 2011 01:23 PM

I'm looking for the small, LANC controllable, acceptable low light footage camera myself,
and was looking at HM100 as a possible candidate, but i will probably try Canon XF100 and XA10 first.

Dave Mercer January 11th, 2011 12:00 PM

I've been looking at the HM100 vs the Panasonic HMC40. Looks like the HMC wins out for sharpness and ease of use (using manual features) ... not to mention price.

Too bad as I really like the fact that the JVC is PAL/NTSC switchable ...

Then again, CNN just bought a bunch of the JVCs for their multimedia reporters.

Chris Hurd January 11th, 2011 12:28 PM

There is no LANC jack on the HM100 (or any other JVC product), sorry.
LANC is strictly Sony and Canon. It won't be found on Panasonic or JVC.

Alex Humphrey January 11th, 2011 10:08 PM

don't forget workflow. Shooting XDCAM-EX on cheap SD cards is nothing to turn your nose up to, especialliy if you're also looking at AVCHD formats.

Buba Kastorski January 12th, 2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1606498)
There is no LANC jack on the HM100 (or any other JVC product), sorry.
LANC is strictly Sony and Canon. It won't be found on Panasonic or JVC.

My bad, I should probrbly say: camcorder with remote lens control capability;
because it doesn't really matter to me if it's LANC or Aux.:)
thanks!

George Kilroy January 12th, 2011 04:59 PM

No remote lens control (except IR remote controller).
Very poor in low light. This was the very thing that stopped me buying it. I had one on lone to assess it before buying but as a lot of my need is for use in ambient lighting environment this really didn't cut the mustard.

Marty Mulholland May 24th, 2011 10:07 PM

Re: Z1 and EX1r owners: how does the JVC HM100 compare?

in daylight HM100 is amazing, in low light - it's next to useless. But you won't realise that until you own something that is GOOD in low light.

Ed Szarleta August 4th, 2011 10:03 AM

Re: Z1 and EX1r owners: how does the JVC HM100 compare?

Low light is tough, but you can be creative.