DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC NAB09 Debrief (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/234092-jvc-nab09-debrief.html)

Tim Dashwood April 26th, 2009 04:41 PM

JVC NAB09 Debrief

http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquis...h-debrief.html

Jack Walker April 26th, 2009 04:50 PM

Thanks for the clear and to the point roundup.

Regarding 4:2:0 sampling... hopefully Cineform 4:2:2 and the new First Light app will add an extra dimension to the JVC SDHC workflow.

Kaushik Parmar April 26th, 2009 08:43 PM

3CCD vs. CMOS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 1133581)
The #1 question I was asked was "is it a CMOS chip?" The answer "no... they're CCD" always garnered a sigh of relief and was usually followed by a CMOS "jello vision" horror story.

My question is about CMOS vs. CCD, JVC uses 3CCD in their cameras, and they have started using CMOS in their consumer cameras recently. My question is that why JVC is not using CMOS in their Pro cameras, and which is better CMOS or 3CCD? To me 3CCD are able produce very rich colors comparing to CMOS, but I am not technical person so I have limitation.

But Canon 5D MKII is able to produce stunning videos with its CMOS censor, in fact 5D MKII has change definition of cameras, means before we have to have dedicated cameras one for still and one for video, but this Canon has change all those things and more and more people are using Canon 5D MKII as a primary video camera not still!

I am repeating my question which is better 3CCD or CMOS? I know there would be long debate on it, but if we need one line answer than who is superior?

Thanks,
Kaushik

Tim Dashwood April 26th, 2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar (Post 1133662)
I am repeating my question which is better 3CCD or CMOS? I know there would be long debate on it, but if we need one line answer than who is superior?

As with everything there are pros and cons with each.
Pros for CMOS: good low-light performance and no vertical "streaking" with bright light sources
Cons for CMOS: rolling shutter can cause "jello vision" when panning and partial exposures with flashes.

David Petersen April 26th, 2009 10:03 PM

I heard mention on one of the podcasts or news sites somewhere that one of the 35mm adapter companies was coming out with a 1/3" relay for the HM700, did you (or anyone else) hear mention of this?

Steven Lyons April 27th, 2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Petersen (Post 1133682)
I heard mention on one of the podcasts or news sites somewhere that one of the 35mm adapter companies was coming out with a 1/3" relay for the HM700, did you (or anyone else) hear mention of this?

You must have missed my reply when you asked this earlier....

I have spoken to Aaron at letus, makers of the extreme, elite and ultimate.
the ex3 relay is soon to be out, and they are making one for the HM 700..
below is a quote from Aaron..

Quote:

"Image quality difference between a relay and a stock lens will probably be a little better. We can't say for sure until we have the relay built and tested. Since a relay is built for a single purpose (relaying the image from the adapter to the image sensor in the camera), we can really dial it in for the perfect image. How much of a difference between the relay and stock lens there is won't be evident until they are tested side by side.
Relay for the new JVC 700 will most likely be available by July."
I have the cinevate brevis that I use with the hd101 and gives a fantastic picture,
I don't recommend it with the HD251e, could never get it sharp, cannot for the life of me figure out why.
I think the letus configuration should be very exciting, especially as Aaron has said they
build the relay to get the most out of the individual cameras.

steven lyons

Letus35 - 35mm lens Adapters - Letus adapters for using 35mm lenses on DV camers

David Petersen April 27th, 2009 09:21 AM

Ohh, yeah must have missed that.

I'm not as concerned with improved image quality as I am having a 4' long bazooka of a camera.

Amos Kim April 27th, 2009 07:50 PM

exciting news from letus... the release of a 1/3" relay lens for jvc cams. Cinevate released a 2/3" that allows for different frame sizes like vistavision, 24x36 etc etc. If letus can follow, it would be awesome.

Steven Lyons April 28th, 2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim (Post 1134188)
exciting news from letus... the release of a 1/3" relay lens for jvc cams. Cinevate released a 2/3" that allows for different frame sizes like vistavision, 24x36 etc etc. If letus can follow, it would be awesome.

unfortunately cinevate seem to still be heading down the bazooka route.

If you want to be informed about letus developments, just go to their site and send them an info request, they are very responsive and have a very refreshing ability to tailer make their responses to exactly the questions asked of them...very refreshing.

Sean Adair April 28th, 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Petersen (Post 1133882)
Ohh, yeah must have missed that.

I'm not as concerned with improved image quality as I am having a 4' long bazooka of a camera.

Ha! What about JVC's COPLA? It's of course in the most elite price range, and not as dramatic a DOF limiter - but it's size, performance and practicality would make it worth while to anyone considering adapters. Using cinematography techniques, I'm confident that appropriate effects can be achieved, and much of the time, the added margin of sharpness safety will be working in your favor. Especially if it's a small crew shoot...

Ken Hodson August 19th, 2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
My own 3D footage (HD100 originated) was shown from Blu-Ray a few times during the show. Unfortunately I burned a DVD-R with 19Mbps m2t as a Blu-Ray so the bit-rate couldn’t always keep up. I guess it’s time for me to invest in a Blu-Ray burner.

I don't get this logic at all. What does the burner speed have to do with the bit-rate of the codec that is used in the video burnt on the disk? I can't imagine a 2X burn speed being too fast.

Tim Dashwood August 20th, 2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hodson (Post 1245294)
I don't get this logic at all. What does the burner speed have to do with the bit-rate of the codec that is used in the video burnt on the disk? I can't imagine a 2X burn speed being too fast.

What I was referring to was the red-ray (DVD media) bit rate limit of 9.8mbps. I authored a blu-ray "format" disc using 19mbps m2t media but burned it to red-ray media (DVD-R.) Even though it was a blu-ray player and the disc was recognized as having a blu-ray file structure the red laser was still in use and couldn't read at a bit rate higher than 9.8mbps.

If I had had my JVC SR-DVD100 player this wouldn't have been a problem. It is a red-ray (DVD) HD media player that can spin red-ray discs at double-speed and read m2t files at the normal HDV bitrates.