DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Announces GY-HM790 and new Studio Adapter/Viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/476206-jvc-announces-gy-hm790-new-studio-adapter-viewfinder.html)

Tim Dashwood April 4th, 2010 10:04 PM

JVC Announces GY-HM790 and new Studio Adapter/Viewfinder

The new GY-HM790 adds SD recording, Genlock In, TC IN/OUT with
optional KA790 Studio Adapter, VF-HP790 8.4" Studio Viewfinder, 26-pin
multicore module, CCU, fiber remote module & a local remote panel.

Quote:

JVC TO INTRODUCE GY-HM790 PROHD CAMCORDER AT NAB 2010

lnnovative Design Offers Flexibility for Studio Applications,
ASI Output Module Simplifies Live HD Reports from the Field

WAYNE, NJ (April 5,2010)- JVC Professional Products, a division of JVC U.S.A., will
introduce the new flagship of its ProHD camcorder line, the GY-HM790, at the 2010
NAB Show in Las Vegas, Nev., April 12-15 (Booth C4314). With an innovative modular
design and a full complement of accessories, the new camera supports multicore or
fiber-based production. Plus, as a shoulder-mount camcorder, it delivers outstanding
ENG and sports production performance with more features than ever.

The GY-HM790 features three 1/3rd-inch CCDs, which allow a lighter, more compact form
factor for better maneuverability in the field and more flexibility with robotic camera
control systems in the studio. lt produces 1920x1080 images and can record in 1080i,
720p, and even SD (480i) for operations that have not yet made the move to HD. The
camera records at 35 Mbps (HQ mode/variable bit rate) or 19 Mbps/25 Mbps (SP
mode/constant bit rate). The camera ships with a Canon 14x zoom lens or without lens,
and accommodates a variety of lenses with its 1/3-inch bayonet lens mount.

Adopting the successful tapeless workflow introduced in the GY-HM700 camcorder, the
GY-HM790 features a dual card slot design that records to low-cost, non-proprietary
SDHC Class 6 or 10 solid-state media cards. JVC's native file recording technology
allows recording in ready-to-edit file formats for Apple Final Cut Pro (.mov) and other
major NLE systems (.mp4) that are compatible with Sony XDCAM EX workflow.

An optional ASI output module provides a direct feed from the camera to a satellite
uplink or microwave transmitter via BNC - no "black box" interfaces required - for live
HD video from the field. Other ENG features on the GY-HM790 include an analog SD
pool feed input, 4.3-inch LCD screen, and a high-resolution, 1.2 megapixel LCOS
viewfinder. Two XLR inputs with phantom power offer uncompressed LPCM audio
recording with manual level controls.

"The excellent image quality of the GY-HM790, coupled with its versatility for both studio
and ENG use, makes it an attractive camcorder for broadcasters in any DMA," said
Craig Yanagi, manager of marketing and brand strategy. "Plus, our optional ASI module
makes it easier than ever to produce true HD reports from the field. The GY-HM790
does more than shoot great pictures, it literally changes the way live news reports can
be produced."

With its HD/SD-SDI port, the GY-HM790 provides an uncompressed 4:2:2 full HD signal
for live monitoring, and a FireWire port provides output of SD signals or the HDV
transport stream, so footage can be backed up economically with an HDD recorder. An
optional SxS media recorder module attaches directly to the camcorder and allows
simultaneous recording to SDHC cards and SxS media.

The new GY-HM790 also builds on the studio capabilities of JVC's popular GY-HD250
camera with its improved picture quality and cleaner studio integration. lts redesigned
studio adapter sled incorporates a modular approach to multicore or fiber connectivity
for a cleaner interface. Modules connect directly to the camera without external cabling,
so they can be used either with the studio sled or handheld. Plus, JVC's modular
approach allows the creation of additional modules to accommodate future
technologies.

Other new features for studio or multi-camera use include built-in time code in/out and
genlock. JVC also offers a full complement of accessories, including a remote camera
control unit, remote shader panel, 8.4-inch studio viewfinder, and multi-input special
effects generators.

The GY-HM790 will be available this summer for $11,995
including the Canon KT14x4.4BKRS 14x HD ENG lens.

ABOUT JVC U.S.A.
Headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, JVC U.S.A. is a division of JVC Americas Corp.,
a wholly-owned subsidiary of Victor Company of Japan Ltd. JVC distributes a complete
line of video and audio equipment for the consumer and professional markets.

Hi-Res pics here: http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquis...o-adapter.html

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2010 10:42 PM

Alas, the tapeless version of the HD250 has arrived.

Tim Dashwood April 4th, 2010 11:26 PM

Yes... and before anyone asks the obvious question "can the HM700 firmware be updated to allow recording of NTSC or PAL?" the answer is "no." The updated processor in the HM790 makes this possible.

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2010 12:13 AM

Tim: if connected to CCU by 26 pin, is HD-SDI out available at the CCU or is it solely analog?

Tim Dashwood April 5th, 2010 07:11 AM

Great question Shaun. Unfortunately the literature I have isn't specific enough to have the answer. I'm sure there will be more info on JVC's site later today.

David Medzorian April 5th, 2010 09:24 AM

HM-790...it figures

Just my luck, just four days after I bring home my new JVC GY-HM700 camera, the 790 is announced, with two features that I really wanted; Time Code In and Out and the ability to also record in 480I when desired or necessary. It's all the best features of the 250...and then a whole bunch more. Oh well, time to start saving again...can always use another camera to go with my 700 and 100...both of which are fantastic. Tim Dashwood, when is your instructional DVD on the HM700 coming out? Are you waiting now for the 790 so you can cover the whole series? A heads up, please. The DVd on the HM-100 was such a great help.

Calvin Bellows April 5th, 2010 01:04 PM

Perfect Timing.

I have had a few requests to do some live production this summer and I was heading down to NAB to see if my HM 700 could be used in such productions. I now know that it probably can't but JVC has come out with something that can. I wonder how much the CCU's and what not are going to cost. It is going to be a fun two days in Vegas.

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows (Post 1510130)
I wonder how much the CCU's and what not are going to cost.

A lot. REALLY. But might be well worth it. Laying hands on enough 26 pin cable is also a spendy proposition. I've been doing multicam live switched for 11 years and have avoided HD live switched until now but all of a sudden, everything is coming together. Love to talk more with you about it at NAB...

EDIT: Oh, and thanks, Tim. Looking forward to finally meeting you at NAB.

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2010 02:27 PM

CCU for HD250... perhaps it will be the same one for 790?

JVC | RM-HP250AU HD/SD Multi-core Camera Control | RM-HP250AU

Ok, less than I though for the CCU, if in fact the one usable for the HD250 is still usable on the new 790. And apparently it DOES have HD-SDI out at the CCU. For $3400. Interesting...

Calvin Bellows April 5th, 2010 02:33 PM

I read briefly that it could be compatible with fibre so that that might be one route. Sean what did you use for your multi camera productions.

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2010 02:42 PM

Calvin: PM'd you.

Alex Humphrey April 5th, 2010 03:07 PM

David just got the HM700 4 days ago!

David, if you got the camera from decent company and called/emailed them today I'm sure they would let you trade up to the more expensive camera with not much of a hit. At the most 10% and probably less. Just saying... they might even waive the standard 10% just to get the extra income off themore expensive camera. I didn't see when the 790 is coming out.. it might be the deal breaker... or heck maybe I'll buy one of your 100 series cameras off you for a few duckets since you have so many. :)

Calvin Bellows April 5th, 2010 03:11 PM

Looks like the cable is going to cost just under 2k for 50 meters.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/26128-REG/JVC_VC_P113U_VCP113U_Camera_Extension_Cable.html

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2010 03:43 PM

Calvin: Unless I'm COMPLETELY mistaken, the Sony 26 pin will work just fine. And the cost per foot goes down the longer you get.
multicore

Chris Hurd April 5th, 2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1510157)
Calvin: PM'd you.

Please be advised that there is no PM system on DV Info Net.