DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Live Streaming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/484470-live-streaming.html)

Calvin Bellows September 8th, 2010 07:50 PM

Live Streaming

I was just wondering what I would need to stream to live stream or U Stream form my HM 700. I currently have a mac book pro. I tried plugging in the USB and that got me no where. If I get the firewire cable and plug it in will it work? Do I need to install anything on my mac? Thanks again in advance.

Battle Vaughan September 8th, 2010 08:13 PM

I have streamed to a live server --- you will need a provider ---- using firewire from another make of camera in sd mode to Quicktime Broadcaster, freeware for mac. Windows Media Encoder does the same job on pc's. Never done this from a JVC but the hookup should be the same. Probably, due to bandwidth, you will need to output in SD mode if the camera permits this, others may be able to advise if there is any hd streaming available now.

George Kilroy September 9th, 2010 02:14 AM

I have done this at a live stage event. The the firewire output from the HM700 is SD only.

Calvin Bellows September 9th, 2010 09:32 AM

So I have to get a firewire cable then... Do I set it to ext and DV then. SD is fine for me since HD takes up a lot of band with. Do I need any software of will my mac recognize my camera?

Battle Vaughan September 9th, 2010 10:27 AM

I did this on a Canon XHa1, so I can't offer specific knowledge of doing it with the JVC, but yes, the mac recognized the firewire signal in Quicktime Broadcaster and away we went....pretty simple and seamless.

Travis Bush September 9th, 2010 11:33 AM

We use two JVC HM700 and a GY250. we take the SDI output and bring it in to a Tricaster switcher, then stream it using the Tricaster to ustream. works well.

Jack Zhang September 9th, 2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1567423)
Windows Media Encoder does the same job on pc's.

Windows Media Encoder is no more, it's now Microsoft Expression Encoder Pro. (A commercial VC-1 encoder)

You'll have to set the camera to DV SD to get the firewire working for streaming. If you have a Tricaster HD however, you can use HD-SDI from the HM700 without touching any settings to switch to SD.

Battle Vaughan September 9th, 2010 11:36 PM

Jack is right, Microsoft has a free version of Expression Encoder 4, and it is a great deal more comprehensive than its predecessor. But it seems to push Silverlight and has some odd -sounding features in the licensing that I wonder about. There is some kind of feedback to Microsoft on what you are doing, as far as I can tell. Product requires activation.

And It requires a Microsoft ID to register, yadda yadda. I don't know, alarm bells go off when I see a lot of lawyer stuff in the license agreement....that said, it has a nice interface and some good features.

For what it's worth, Windows Media Encoder 9 is still widely available on freeware sites, works on Win 7 (32 bit, anyway, don't know about 64 but I doubt it) and is way simpler and doesn't have the little -- possibly, who can understand the EULA stuff?? --- Microsoft "gotchas" in its license....

There is a Pro verson of Expression Enocoder for about $200....It supports MP4 and TS encoding, and some kind of "smoothing" in broadcast mode...if you're on PC and really into this, might be worth a look.

James McBoyle September 10th, 2010 06:32 AM

Set it to Ext and DV, and if you're using UStream they have their own free app that works fine, nothing else is needed apart from as good a wired internet connection as you can lay your hands onto... (You can do this using a mobile broadband dongle connected to the laptop, but for high-movement subjects like sport where there's likely to be contention from a few thousand other mobile phones, framerates can drop to single figures at times). I've hooked my HM700 to both mac and pc laptops for this and only ever had a problem with recognition when I forgot to set the firewire port switches correctly before connecting.

Calvin Bellows September 11th, 2010 11:10 AM

Thanks guys. I have tested it and it works for me. It is weird, my mac doesn't recognize it. I can't find it anywhere but when I am in livestream or ustream I can select it. Thanks agin for the help.