DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Fixing Dead Pixels on the JVC GY-HM 750 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/505235-fixing-dead-pixels-jvc-gy-hm-750-a.html)

Mike James February 13th, 2012 05:22 PM

Fixing Dead Pixels on the JVC GY-HM 750

I talked to a JVC Engineer today in regards to fixing dead pixels on our 750 cameras. (Mine had one).

Here is the method to fix it, it is different than resetting the 700 Cameras.

1. Warm up the camera for at least 30 minutes.
2. Make sure the record method is set on 1280x720, 60p, this is crucial.
3. Hold the display button, and then power the camera on.
4. With the camera on, hit and hold both focus assist(the one above User 1 button is the only one this will work with) and User 3 buttons. Then press menu. This will bring up the advanced menu.
5. Select Advanced Function, then select Pixel detect.
6. Hit up or down on the wheel to get the choice to say “pixel comp” instead of cancel. (You will NOT be able to select this function if you are not set to 1280x720 record mode).
7. It will tell you to shut off the camera, then turn it back on.
8. You should be good to go.

Myles Williams March 6th, 2012 02:11 AM

Re: Fixing Dead Pixels on the JVC GY-HM 750

Fwiw.......this took about 5 attempts for me to be able (once in the main advanced screen) to scroll to the "pixel detect" part. Everything up until that went fine, but many many many tries and finally I was able to complete it.

VERY frustrating.

My 700 wasnt this bad.

Mw

Mike James March 6th, 2012 09:24 AM

It's too bad we have to deal with this issue at all. :)

My biggest complaint with this camera is still the viewfinder. Awful would be a polite way to put it.

Myles Williams March 6th, 2012 09:12 PM

Yeah I picked up this 750 because a friend had a new one and I needed a second camera for this years contract. I already have a 700 so this makes things easier to match than the HM100. But yes its love hate sometimes as I wish upon a star that has at LEAST 1/2 inch chips and CCD from JVC. I'll be at NAB and face the music. I can bet money I will put the 700 up for sale on April 16th ! lol.

Love the work flow and form factor.

No "real" hates....just a long list of wishes.

Anyway...back to topic.

Myles

Mike James May 3rd, 2012 08:15 AM

Just had to do my 3rd Dead Pixel reset.

Frustrating.......

Tom Valens May 5th, 2012 12:30 PM

If you've gotten into the situation of discovering dead pixels AFTER a shoot (as I have), there is a great free FCP plug in to fix it in post, from Adam Wilt. Address is:

ProVideo Coalition.com: Apple | Vendor Blog

It's a bit technical, but a clear description of the plugin on the first page, and a link to the free plugin (actually, 7 free plugins) on the third page.

Tom Valens
Tamalpais Productions

Mike Squires February 21st, 2013 04:16 PM

Tried this today on the HM790, these instructions worked.

Anton Tokman July 13th, 2020 01:17 AM

Hello.
I had to fix dead pixels several times since I got my HM750 (BTW, Hours Meter display 146 hours). Recently I've noticed dead pixel again. Tried "Pixel Compen" function, but get only "PIXEL COMPEN ERROR - COUNT OVER" message after completing. Dead pixel still was here.

What I did then:

- Made sure that the camera settings are saved on the SD card as Scene files and Picture files.
As I just done pixel compensation attemts
- Camera was warmed up - power was on for more than 40 minutes.
- Recording mode Was 720p60 (1280x720, 60p) in HQ mode
- I entered the Service menu as described by topic starter (Thanks, Mike, I once saved Your text, printed and put it into the Instruction Manual):
"3. Hold the display button, and then power the camera on.
4. With the camera on, hit and hold both focus assist (the one above User 1 button is the only one this will work with) and User 3 buttons. Then press menu. This will bring up the advanced menu."

- In Service menu selected OTHERS
- Then selected ALL RESET > EXECUTE and followed on screen instructions. (Camcorder itself switched to self-test mode, it took about 10 minutes, maybe less)
- After completion I was prompted to set Time zone and Date/Time.
- Then i've restored all settings using saved Picture file and user menu.

Now dead pixel gone.Maybe this will help someone.

Sorry if I made mistakes, I do not know English very well :)
Regards

Paul R Johnson July 13th, 2020 01:35 AM

Thanks for posting this, I shall download the entire topic and keep it just in case I need it in the future. I rather like the camera having always had this product range since the 100 series. I still have two 110’s, a 200, and the previous 500 and 5000 cams still working, but unused. They all do my kind of work really well.

Andrew Smith July 13th, 2020 05:02 AM

Up to date URL for the dead pixel fixer (in post) script, just i case it helps.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/fx...iated_feature/

Andrew

Anton Tokman August 14th, 2020 11:27 PM

In addition to my post on July 13th.
I already had 7 shooting days and there are no dead pixels уеt.