DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Close to buying the HM660 just a few questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-800-700-600-series-camera-systems/517237-close-buying-hm660-just-few-questions.html)

Alan Angel June 17th, 2013 02:32 AM

Close to buying the HM660 just a few questions

Typo in title I mean HM600

I need a new camera for the following projects:

Documentaries
TV Pilots/Tasters
Corporate Web Based Video

I currently use a Sony Z5 but I want to go tapeless and I like the look of the JVC, my only worries are the lack of progressive options for AVCHD as I use 1080p for web based video on my Z5 and 1080i for any TV stuff.

I know the JVC has been accepted for broadcast but am worried about my bread and butter Corporate shoots.

Could someone upload some progressive stuff for me to try in Edius?

Cheers guys

Jody Arnott June 17th, 2013 05:02 AM

Re: Close to buying the HM660 just a few questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Angel (Post 1800635)
Typo in title I mean HM600

I need a new camera for the following projects:

Documentaries
TV Pilots/Tasters
Corporate Web Based Video

I currently use a Sony Z5 but I want to go tapeless and I like the look of the JVC, my only worries are the lack of progressive options for AVCHD as I use 1080p for web based video on my Z5 and 1080i for any TV stuff.

I know the JVC has been accepted for broadcast but am worried about my bread and butter Corporate shoots.

Could someone upload some progressive stuff for me to try in Edius?

Cheers guys

JVC have released 3 firmware updates since I bought the camera, so AVCHD progressive isn't unlikely.. It does surprise me that there isn't a 25/30P option.

But either way, I use MPEG 1080p25 and it works great for me. Here's a quick sample shot, it's straight from the camera at the highest bitrate (35mbit).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...NLAKE_PAN2.MOV

Give it another 10 minutes, it's still uploading.

Alan Angel June 17th, 2013 11:58 AM

Thank you for the file, it confirmed my fear that it would not import into Edius.

William Hohauser June 17th, 2013 04:20 PM

It also records in mp4 which should import into Edius cleanly. XDCAM is an easier format to edit with versus AVCHD and JVC includes a clip manager program for the PC.

Battle Vaughan June 17th, 2013 10:42 PM

I don't know Edius, but I opened this file (in windows quicktime) using this codec from Calibrated Q:

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview

If Edius recognizes it, it might solve the problem. They offer a free but watermarked trial so it is easy to find out if this would work for you.

Alan Angel June 18th, 2013 01:36 PM

Any chance someone can upload a 720 50p clip not in a Mov as I can't import MOV into Edius. Am not sure what other format the camera can use but it's the progressive area that I am concerned about as I know I can use the Interlaced options.

I have the option of getting the HM600 or the Panny 160A but the HM will cost me £700 more due to the lack of Mic & lack of OEM batteries. If the 720 50p footage works in Edius it may just be worth the extra cash.

Jody Arnott June 18th, 2013 04:06 PM

Here you go, 720p50 .MP4. I've included the entire folder that the HM600 creates when you hit record.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...44G0356_01.rar

You'll need winrar or similar to view it.

(again, give it a few minutes to upload)

Alan Angel June 19th, 2013 04:51 AM

Thank you Jody and thanks to the other guys for your help.

The mp4 imported great which now gives me the following choices.

I have been offered an ex demo with a year warranty with just 17 fan hours or I can pay a few hundred pounds and get a new one.

Or I can grab the Panny 160A brand new for about £700 less. This is because of the high battery prices of the JVC at the moment, we don't have the Swit batteries over here yet.

Could you recommend me a good Mic for the JVC camera, I am looking at the NTG but am worried that once I put the Rycote Softie on you may see it in the top right of the screen, you do on the Sony Z5 and so I am looking to avoid this again.

Scott Berrington June 19th, 2013 01:43 PM

Audio Technica AT875 is a great short shotgun microphone designed for camera mounting...not expensive either! I have one on my HM700 and it sounds very good.

Jody Arnott June 19th, 2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Angel (Post 1801065)
Thank you Jody and thanks to the other guys for your help.

The mp4 imported great which now gives me the following choices.

I have been offered an ex demo with a year warranty with just 17 fan hours or I can pay a few hundred pounds and get a new one.

Or I can grab the Panny 160A brand new for about £700 less. This is because of the high battery prices of the JVC at the moment, we don't have the Swit batteries over here yet.

Could you recommend me a good Mic for the JVC camera, I am looking at the NTG but am worried that once I put the Rycote Softie on you may see it in the top right of the screen, you do on the Sony Z5 and so I am looking to avoid this again.

I use a Rode NTG-2 on my HM600. With the Rode "dead cat" on it, it can sometimes be seen on the video. I just trimmed the front of it with scissors and it solved the problem.

I can't speak for the Panny 160A, but the HM600 is a great camera.

As for batteries, I have 2 of the official JVC batteries which usually gets me through an day of shooting. They last a around 3-4 hours each.

John Sirb June 22nd, 2013 06:59 AM

Alan, late on seeing this but Ive had zero issues with files from the 600 with Edius 6.54

Alan Angel June 22nd, 2013 01:50 PM

Thanks John, that's good to hear.