DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Panasonic Master Tape Quality Better? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/12151-panasonic-master-tape-quality-better.html)

John Threat July 17th, 2003 11:45 AM

Panasonic Master Tape Quality Better?

Anyone here using the AY-DVM63MQ or equivelants Mini-dv tape to shoot on? These tapes are easily distinguishable by the fact that the case is white and that high price.

Is there a visible difference to shooting on this stock over the lower level Panasonic stock? I have used a lot of the lower level stock for a while and found it comparable, but I haven't done extensive tests.

http://www.tapeandmedia.com/mini_dv_...nic_master.asp this link is an example of this stock

Jeff Donald July 17th, 2003 11:59 AM

The higher end MQ tapes (more expensive) should have fewer dropouts and withstand FF and REW better then lesser tapes. No visible image difference would be seen (except fewer dropouts). The shell is said to help promote the fewer dropouts and long term stability (archivalness) with the use of better components and the use of anti-static materials.

I use the DVM60EJ tapes and have no dropouts. I never shuttle my tapes or pause them. If they were subjected to that type of abuse, I would use the MQ tapes.

Bill Markel July 17th, 2003 12:47 PM

John,

I've switched to the AY-DVM63MQ tapes and have noticed fewer dropouts and glitches. It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth it.

HTH

Bill

Ron Little July 18th, 2003 03:07 PM

I never get drop outs.

I use Maxell tape six for 22 bucks at Sams.

Do any of you get drop outs?

Jeff Donald July 18th, 2003 05:13 PM

I did get drop outs with the Maxells my clients provided. Since then, I supply the tapes and bill the client.

Michael Westphal July 18th, 2003 09:59 PM

I use the Maxells from Sam's and get a dropout on probably 1-2 of each set of six tapes (I'm at tape number 89)
I switched to the AY-DVM63MQ's for my important gigs and have had NO dropouts in 15 tapes.

Bob Benkosky July 19th, 2003 11:41 AM

I stick with the highly recommended Fuji DVM60 tapes. I put them thru some abuse while editing and they stay looking good. I have also gone over old footage already and had no real problems. I don't think Fuji makes a head cleaner though.

Ron Little July 19th, 2003 12:26 PM

Were do you buy your tape I can’t seam to find that much variety around here?

Bob Benkosky July 19th, 2003 04:19 PM

I actually got a great deal from Ebay from someone in Hong Kong. I think I paid $23 for 5 Fuji tapes shipped. Totally worth it.

Mark Moore July 19th, 2003 05:31 PM

I started using the AY-DVM63PQ from Pro-Tape (around $3.99 each), when I got my GL1 back from a factory cleaning/adjustment. What is the difference in that tape and the "MQ"? No matter - I've been happy with it!

Ron Little July 20th, 2003 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reply I will check out Pro Tape.

Nathan Gifford July 20th, 2003 08:43 PM

One of the differences between MQ and PQ is where they take the tape from. PQ tapes are spooled from the ends of the reel while MQ comes from the center. According to the people I have talked to, the MQs use the better section of the tape.

I'd rather pay the $1-$2 difference.

Mark Moore July 21st, 2003 06:42 AM

Thanks, Nathan. I didn't know that, and I was sure there was reason for the price difference.

Arnaldo Paixao July 22nd, 2003 02:33 AM

I'v been using the Pro and Master series and I'm happy with both.
But, that's since I started "striping" (recording black video and time code) them. Some time ago I posted this issue and a lot of people told me that it was just a waste of time and camera ware. The fact is that I shot a wedding with fresh out of the box tapes and it took me long hours on post to get rid of all the dropouts and glitches. I was MAD, realy MAD. Since then, I stripe all my tapes and never ever had a dropout, not one. The reason? I don't know the exact explanation, but I would suspect it could have something to do with fresh tapes not having time code. I'm aware that this represents more camera head degradation, but I prefer that, then seeing my footage spoiled.

Best regards
Arnaldo

Nathan Gifford July 22nd, 2003 04:52 AM

I never stripe my tapes. The only time I have problems is when I am not cautious about starting my camcorder over a valid t/c.