DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   DSR-11 Not Functioning as A-D Converter BUT Otherwise Working Normally. What Gives? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/129422-dsr-11-not-functioning-d-converter-but-otherwise-working-normally-what-gives.html)

Ryland Brooks September 5th, 2008 02:58 PM

DSR-11 Not Functioning as A-D Converter BUT Otherwise Working Normally. What Gives?

Tech Friends -

I recently got a non-sony tape stuck in my DSR-11 (bummer) and was forced to extricate it using the Fixya "my tape got stuck in the DSR - 11" article's method of removing the top cover and highest level of circuit board:

Tape stuck inside - FixYa

This worked for the tape removal, however, upon replacing the circuit board and cover, the deck no longer seems to be able to act as an analogue to digital converter. It still communicates with FCP via its firewire connection (ie FCP is able to control FF, rewind, play functions, etc), and is capable of reading and writing both video and audio.

Also, after trouble shooting the drive for a little while, I pressed the "reset" button the the rear. I'm not sure if that matters one way or the other. I don't think it does (that just resets the time code, right?)

I've checked all of the FCP settings and played with the deck and I can record from my Beta SP deck to miniDV tape in the deck (connected through the "video" input on the rear of the unit). The deck seems to function perfectly doing everything except for converting analogue to digital passively. The way we always did it before was by keeping the input switch on the face of the unit on "video" and log and capturing in FCP with it as a noncontrolable ntsc device. The fact that I can still print to minidv tape from the computer AND record off of the betasp deck onto minidv tape makes me understand it less (in other words, I am able to record betasp tape to minidv tape and then minidv tape to fcp, but not in a single step). It means to me that it is not a broken switch, it's not a broken firewire port, the circuits that are converting analogue to digital are totally in tact and everything works perfectly EXCEPT for using the unit as an A-D converter.

What the dill-yo? If anyone in the world could offer any insight as to what could be causing this I would greatly appreciate it!

Bill Busby September 5th, 2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland Brooks (Post 929832)
I pressed the "reset" button the the rear. I'm not sure if that matters one way or the other. I don't think it does (that just resets the time code, right?)

It resets the unit to factory defaults (menu, etc.) It has nothing to do with timecode.

Shaun Roemich September 6th, 2008 11:45 AM

Wild speculation: try moving the front panel Input switch to DV and then back to Video to ensure the switch is properly "seated".