DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   What's the best way to get betacamSP to DV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/24919-whats-best-way-get-betacamsp-dv.html)

Don White April 22nd, 2004 10:40 AM

What's the best way to get betacamSP to DV?

Is there some better way to get a large amount of betacamSP onto DV than just running it through the s-vid out jack and into a DV recorder?

I imagine someone might make a product which takes the analog component video signals and does an optimum conversion - but is this true, if it is true what is the device and how well does it work, and is the difference in quality worth it?

I already have a box which can do it through my computer, though not to DV (igniter card with component breakout box) but this is too time-consuming for most of my archinving.

any thoughts, gang?

thanks

Richard Alvarez April 22nd, 2004 12:12 PM

Laird makes and excellent transcoder, priced about 1 grand plus.
Canopus makes some very good ones too... ADVC100 is good for about 300, and their new advc300 is even better. Search for their products and specs online.

Don White April 22nd, 2004 12:44 PM

how about datavideo DAC-2

in searching online, I see one which has the analog component in and dv out, the datavideo DAC-2. It seems to be a discontinued model but available about $500, which is less than half the price of others which have the component inputs matching the betacamSP's component outputs.

any thoughts on this model? Or better ones at similar price? I'm on a budget. The lower-end canopus ones don't seem to have the proper inputs.

thanks

Gary Chavez April 22nd, 2004 01:54 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.aja.com/d10a.htm

I shoot DVCAM, input to a Kona SDI card from a DSR -45 component, edit w/ FPC4 and then out put to an AJA SDI to analog converter and dump to Beat SP on an UVW 1800.

I ordered this system turn key and had/have no real understanding about non linear editing technology or components, but if you need me to crawl around and look for something, be happy to do it.

Richard Alvarez April 22nd, 2004 02:28 PM

Yep Dac 2 is good too.

Don White April 22nd, 2004 03:24 PM

Actually, I have no idea whether that's what I'm looking for... actually I saw one of those cheap on ebay today, but I don't really 'get' the difference between analog component and serial component. I suppose I could delve into the internet and become an expert, but I really just want good results. So analog component to firewire DV sounds good to me.

Your systems sounds impressive, though. I can't afford DVCAM, am using analog betacamSP and archiving/producing with D8 which has a more robust tape than miniDV and is cheaper than DVCAM. FCP is the program I'll use... and it's one of the few which is taking me a LONG time to learn. Such a program! I actually have an aurora igniter card and pro breakout box to get betaSP into the computer, but it saves as MPEG2 so isn't an archiving solution.

thanks

Don

http://www.aja.com/d10a.htm

I shoot DVCAM, input to a Kona SDI card from a DSR -45 component, edit w/ FPC4 and then out put to an AJA SDI to analog converter and dump to Beat SP on an UVW 1800.

I ordered this system turn key and had/have no real understanding about non linear editing technology or components, but if you need me to crawl around and look for something, be happy to do it.

Don White April 22nd, 2004 04:08 PM

Any thoughts on the newer Datavision DAC-10?

Don White April 27th, 2004 04:04 PM

Unbalanced audio to balanced: betacamSP

Hi gang, can anyone help me here?

I have been offered a decent price on a Datavideo DAC-10 ($500) which seems like it ought to do the job of getting DV footage from betacamSP... except that I have also been told that the "unbalanced audio" of betacamSP requires a special $250 box to "balance" the audio. How big a deal is this? I don't really have the extra $250 to spend.

- unbalanced in Hawaii

Dean Sensui April 30th, 2004 04:31 PM

Hi Don...

Betacam decks, which feature Canon XLR audio connectors, have balanced audio.

If you need to connect to an unbalanced audio input, such as an RCA connector or 1/4" unbalanced jack, then you can get an adapter transformer from Radio Shack. I think they're $20 or so.

By the way, I'm in Hawaii, too!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.

Mike Butler April 30th, 2004 05:13 PM

Y'mean Radio Shack actually has balanced audio devices, XLR connectors, etc? :-)

Yeah, actually the XLRs are balanced, as are the inputs and outputs on most pro audio units. I think the question is that of the DV unit having unbalanced (consumer) inputs. Most pro audio dealers, like Full Compass, Markertek, ZZounds, etc. have all the adapters you need for a few bucks. But before even investing in that, here's a practical consideration. In many cases, you can get away with (mis)matching balanced to unbalanced audio and not pick up any hum or other nasties IF you are going a very short length of cable. You find out by testing.

BTW, there is a lot of good info about balanced/unbalanced audio, grounding, ground loops, hum and noise, etc. if you look around. Jay Rose has written probably the most understandable explanations about this matter (and in fact about a lot of audio matters of interest to those of us working in audio for DV). I can tell you that balanced lines are a godsend to those of us who have to push mic signals through 150 ft. + snakes, but you may be able to cheat if the Beta deck is sitting right next to the other equipment.

I wish i was in Hawaii! :-)