DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Best way to re-use Betacam SP tapes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/471933-best-way-re-use-betacam-sp-tapes.html)

Jamie Deas January 29th, 2010 04:59 PM

Best way to re-use Betacam SP tapes?

I use Betacam SP and need to re-use some tapes - anyone know the best way to do it?

I've heard that you should "pre-black" the tapes by recording over the existing content with the lens cap on or iris closed before recording new footage onto them?

And how many times can I "cycle" the tapes before the quality drops?

Thanks

Andy Tejral January 29th, 2010 05:36 PM

My first suggestion, just from the subject, was going to be 'as a paperweight'.

The best thing would be to use an eraser but you need a really (no, REALLY) heavy duty model to do SP. A model designed for 1" tape really just made the tape unplayable not fully erased.

Like DV tape, it really isn't necessary to stripe the timecode but it might be advantageous to fully destroy the old material--like if it is a competing client or something. Just make sure you let the cam run long after your take and back up into good video if you check the take.

Number of passes? If it is an important project, buy new tape!

Otherwise, its really hard to put an exact number. How old are the heads on the deck that the tape has been played on? Really new heads and worn heads or a dirty tape path can play havoc on the tape. Was the tape used for editing or was it dumped into a computer without shuttling back and forth?

Lastly, how easy will it be to reshoot if there is a massive dropout? (heck, you don't really want any, do you?)

Shaun Roemich January 29th, 2010 06:54 PM

Shooting news, we just ran it over a degausser three or four times in alternating directions. Didn't necessarily ERASE the footage but "set up" the oxide for another pass better than recording over the last shot media.

I'd suggest 5 passes is the BEST you'd REALLY expect. It may be less, it may be more but I have gotten good results out of 3 passes when I NEEDED to (ie. back when I was a starving student...)

And yes, if it's important, crack plastic.

Andrew Smith January 31st, 2010 04:34 AM

Given the width of the tape, you could always used it as a substitute material for tying up parcels (instead of string).

Andrew

Dean Sensui February 1st, 2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1479734)
Given the width of the tape, you could always used it as a substitute material for tying up parcels (instead of string).

Andrew

Or it can be used to help lash together a raft when you're trying to rescue yourself from being marooned on an island.

Andrew Smith February 1st, 2010 05:48 PM

Why an I suddenly flashing back to those words "The tribe ... has spoken"?

Andrew :-P