DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Tape Stock (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/49649-tape-stock.html)

Aldo Visaggio August 20th, 2005 08:18 AM

Tape Stock

I'm interested in knowing what type of tape brand most people are using, and if you are experiencing any problems with a certain brand?
Many Thanks, Aldo

Leonardo Silva Jr. August 20th, 2005 08:24 AM

i am also strugling with this question, but the usual brand that are being recommended here is either a sony premium or a panasonic 63MQ/63PQ. try searching, there has been many discussion with this.

Michael Plunkett August 20th, 2005 09:45 AM

Long discussions in the Long Black Line thread and after reading all the posts and researching the products I decided to go with the Panasonic 63MQ/63PQ and the Maxell DVM60 because both use the same “Metal Evaporation” technology phrase to describe their product. I figure Panasonic makes both.

Peter Jefferson August 20th, 2005 09:54 AM

they dont.. Pana make the JVC Pro tapes however, but thats about it.. and its something i expected from JVC's brother company either way...

as for MQs and PQ, MQs run a dry lube which is safer for headwear and PQs are a wet lube. Both are technically the same stock, the only difference being lubricant.
Lubricants would be determined by the camera you use.. for a canon or Sony Standard def cam, i would recommend the PQ as these heads are a little more robust than the Pana JVC, to which i would say go the MQ's

for hdv, i wouldnt consider anything else apart from an MQ.. not even the SOny Pro tapes can stand up to the MQs.. of teh 6 Sony tapes iev used in the Z1s, dropouts occured, whereas with the MQ's i didnt have one single problem

Michael Plunkett August 20th, 2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
they dont.. Pana make the JVC Pro tapes however, but thats about it.. and its something i expected from JVC's brother company either way...

as for MQs and PQ, MQs run a dry lube which is safer for headwear and PQs are a wet lube. Both are technically the same stock, the only difference being lubricant.
Lubricants would be determined by the camera you use.. for a canon or Sony Standard def cam, i would recommend the PQ as these heads are a little more robust than the Pana JVC, to which i would say go the MQ's

for hdv, i wouldnt consider anything else apart from an MQ.. not even the SOny Pro tapes can stand up to the MQs.. of teh 6 Sony tapes iev used in the Z1s, dropouts occured, whereas with the MQ's i didnt have one single problem

Thanks Pete. So would Maxell be wet like the PQ's? They were the only two to use that Metal Evaporation phrase (Panny saying it was their original technology), so perhaps Masxell leases the technology from them. I am trying to have two different tape sources- the Maxells from Sam’s Club and the PQ’s from a bulk online service.