DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   vhs & dv direct to DVD recording, which recorder to buy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/71865-vhs-dv-direct-dvd-recording-recorder-buy.html)

Boyd Ostroff July 27th, 2006 08:54 AM

That's interesting, be sure to let us know how it works. I just went to Pioneer's website and couldn't find a model DVR-210 in either the current or past product lineup.

Chris Gorman July 27th, 2006 09:12 AM

pioneer doesn't list it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
That's interesting, be sure to let us know how it works. I just went to Pioneer's website and couldn't find a model DVR-210 in either the current or past product lineup.

That's right, Pioneer's site does not list it. This is probably because it has been discontinued. I'll let you know how it works.

Chris Gorman July 31st, 2006 04:23 PM

my report on how the DVR-210 works

I've tested several of the functions so far. I ordered the manual but while waiting I just studied the menus - don't know if the manual will offer any important new info.

The fw out direct to my hard drive gives very good quality. I tested it on a DVD I had burned myself from DVDsp via FCP and Compressor. Viewing on my NTSC from the TL in FCP I couldn't see any quality loss at all. Captured it just like I'd capture any other "non-controllable device" source.

FW out to DV, also simple to do and excellent results.

Now, the vhs to DVD . . . another story. I'll actually have to do more tests with higher quality source vhs & shorter runs to see what's the best quality I can get. But so far I've tried a couple things that were about 1 hr. 30 mins. vhs footage of old stuff I had recorded from the T.V. The original footage wasn't that good, recoded on a low end old vhs recorder.

I saw a row of artifacts across the top of the image for the first part, and fairly noisy resolution. I attribute a lot of it to the poor quality source, will do tests later on better source vhs.

A real downside of the tape to DVD is that there does not seem to be a way to avoid the ugly stock menu background that you can't avoid being recorded at the beginning - least I haven't found a way to avoid it. I didn't even try putting in a list of selectable chapters, though that's an option for some purposes despite the tacky look.

The tape to DVD quality I'd say is fine for some purposes - a less expensive way for the client who doesn't require the best resolution and doesn't mind the tacky menu.

For the various functions I'd say it's very much worth the $95 used price I paid.

Roy Rutherford December 25th, 2006 06:17 PM

Universal Remote Code for the Pioneer DVR-210

Has anyone figured out a Universal Remote Code for the DVR-210? The manual for the URC was no help. I suspect codes are differant for differant units but I'd like somewhere to start. I tried the search function on the universal remote with no success.

David Hobbs February 15th, 2007 03:59 PM

Transfer/edit old footage

I'm just getting back into video after several years. I have some old VHS "home movie" tapes and Panasonic VHS/DVD Recorder (that we needed anyway). The dub function works well to preserve the old tapes from a low end VHS-C camcorder, but I was thinking I could take the produced DVD and run it into Sony Vegas Movie Studio (that I have for my new camcorder projects) and edit some of the old footage that was too much trouble using the old methods I had available.

Given that the transfer to DVD format has been done, what is the best format to transfer to for Vegas Movie Studio to edit? Movie Studio won't touch the VOBs (even if I try to treat it as a "Camcorder DVD"), so I'm thinking I could use a tool to make it:
AVI (huge)
MPEG-2 (but would this be reencoded in the rip from DVD)
DivX (which claims to be high quality)

The source material wasn't great, but it's mainly about preserving it and making it more useful without losing significant quality or time.

Ron Evans February 15th, 2007 06:25 PM

If you use a DVD-RAM disc to record to you can use DVDLab to import the first VOB and this will then import and assemble the others. You can thenu use the video and ac3 audio file in a number of programs including the Ulead Moviefactory program to edit and author. I have Ulead Moviefactory 5 which will edit from the DVD directly, at least mine will from a DVD-RAM disc. Womble will also edit from a DVD too.

Ron Evans

David Hobbs February 16th, 2007 10:26 PM

Thanks Ron, but I'm not entirely sure I understand what that means. DVDLab gives me a number of options for output. I'm using PAL in Australia. If the content of the DVD is MPEG2, is that what I want DVDLab to output, or some other format?

Alessandro Machi February 17th, 2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Gorman
How much is expensive, and what pro brand & model did you see that burns direct from tape?

The only one I've heard of so far with some of the features is a discontinued Pioneer model - don't have the model number but my friend will probably get that to me soon. He has one he likes with fw in/out, svhs, but does not have the built in vhs player. I think he said it was about $245 a few years back. It's no longer available, but seems to me there must be a successor which I just haven't found yet.

I've been pretty happy with Pioneer DVD stand alone burners. One little glitch that I ran into with the Pioneer 633H-S model 160 gigabyte hard drive was that it will not burn 16x -R DVD's. The previous Pioneer models DO burn 16X, so it's kind of weird that the newer model does not, unless somehow the 160 gig harddrive is older even though I special ordered it a year after purchasing the 80 gig Pioneer DVD standalone burner.

I really like the 32 quality settings that Pioneer lets you choose from. The menu templates only come in 9 choices, they are ok but somewhat limiting, and one MUST use a remote to go to the menu page, it doesn't automatically come up, instead the DVD will just start playing when you insert it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ron Evans February 17th, 2007 05:17 PM

David, DVDlab is just one of many ways to extract the audio and video from the DVD as two files. DVDLab is an authoring program so unless you just want to reauthor the disk its only use is to get these two files. IF you recorded on the DVD recorder it is likely that the audio is Dolby AC3 which many of the editing frograms will not be able to use. However the consumer programs like Ulead Moviefactory can read the data from the DVD which you can then re-edit and create another DVD or just use in other programs. Yes in your case you would be PAL but all these programs are able to work in either PAL or NTSC. The easiest to work with would be Ulead Moviefactory or Womble. They will read the data from the DVD, which you can then re-edit and burn another DVD or save as mpeg files. You can download a trial of Ulead Moviefactory and Womble and they are not expensive programs to have around as they are very useful. I often use them instead of Vegas or Edius, which are my main programs, because the task you are describing is done much faster and better by these programs than the more expensive NLE's.

Ron Evans