DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Tapes in Vancouver (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/8006-tapes-vancouver.html)

Felix Jones March 24th, 2003 03:18 PM

Tapes in Vancouver

Recently I moved to Vancouver from New Zealand, and I was wondering where a good place to buy DV tapes in bulk. I normally prefer Fuji or Panasonic.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Granovski March 24th, 2003 05:16 PM

London Drugs and Superstore usually have Fuji miniDV on sale about once a month. You should be able to get a 2-pack for just under $17.00 and a 3-pack for just under $25.00 (Canadian). I find Superstore a little cheaper most of the time for packs of Fuji miniDV, FujiPro VHS tapes, VHS plastic cases and Fuji 35mm film. But London Drugs and Leo's Photo have the best prices for Ilford Delta 100 and Delta 400---if you're into this.

Since you live on Arbutus and 6th (5th?), the Superstore nearest to you is on Marine Drive, between Main and Frasier. For London Drugs, Broadway and Heather or Granville, across from The Hudson's Bay department store---though I prefer the one on Broadway.

--------------------------------------------
I finally got my 100mm lens for my Nikon. Now what?

Bryan Beasleigh March 24th, 2003 06:56 PM

Fuji or panny is $6.44 Canadian through www.thetapeguys.com
They have an office in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Shipping is about $8 for a herd of tapes.

Frank Granovski March 24th, 2003 08:02 PM

Thanks Bryan for that link again. I'll have to use them one of these days. However, since this member is in Vancouver (2 or 3 blocks from me), I recommended these 2 stores not only for tapes, but for the sardined, pretty cheeks. (And don't forget to take your cam to Kit's Beach, on those sunny summer days. I recommend that too!)

Aaron Koolen March 25th, 2003 02:47 PM

Hey Felix, fellow New Zealander here too. Seeing as you're asking about tapes, and I'm on the lookout for some, did you have a good cheap source here in NZ that you used?

Also, slightly off topic, but, I've only run about 10 tapes through my Xm2, so would changing brands be unwise at this point or would I need to service the camera first or something?

Cheers
Aaron

Dylan Couper March 25th, 2003 03:32 PM

I buy my Fuji tapes from SUperstore. A 2 pack goes for $15. Got a 3 pack on sale from London Drugs for $21.

If you are taking your camera to beaches, make sure you go down to Wreck Beach!

Frank Granovski March 25th, 2003 04:16 PM

The naked regulars at Wreck Beach don't like people with cams. They will protect their cheeks to no end. In other words, they'll ask you to leave. You can always rent a boat, though, and zoom in. Mind you, they'll be cursing. Kits Beach, on the other hand, is just as good. The only thing that will come between your cam and the cheeks is a g-string.

Scott Burbank March 25th, 2003 10:08 PM

Today I pick up some fuji tapes here in Burnaby. $6 each at the tape house. You have to buy in packs of five. $30 for a five pack

Scott

Felix Jones March 25th, 2003 11:42 PM

Aaron,

I used to just go around between photowarehouse and noel leeming and wait for sales. As far as switching, I don't think it will be a major issue although I think some people on here will disagree with me on that one.

Felix Jones March 26th, 2003 12:00 AM

Also,

Does anyone know a store in Vancouver that would carry a cheaper wireless lavalier setup? I contacted Leo's , but they do a higher end one.. I'm looking at something like the Azden WLXPRO range...

Dylan Couper March 26th, 2003 01:56 AM

I pretty much only shop at Leos and Lorne Lapham www.llsr.com
in Burnaby. Lorne Lapham is higher end video than Leo's so that might not be much help.

Frank, I guess you tried the camera a Wreck beach and got shot down, huh? :) Actually, I've seen it happen there once before. Never seen so many people in a crowd freak out at someone at once. It was like the guy pulled out a gun in the middle of an airport. I'm surprised they didn't tackle him.

Frank Granovski March 26th, 2003 02:06 AM

Yeah, I was going to suggest Lorne Lapham. No, I've never even been to Wreck Beach, even though it's only a 6 minute bus ride from where I live. I know where it is, because I have friends working at UBC, plus I used to know a RCMP who's beat was Wreck Beach. He quit the force because not once, but twice, he got beat up by a naked female. Really.

Felix Jones March 26th, 2003 11:32 AM

I guess it would be pretty distracting to try to defend your self from a naked woman.

Dylan Couper March 26th, 2003 12:26 PM

Not neccesarily. Wreck beach girls are often a long, long way from Baywatch girls.

Felix Jones March 26th, 2003 12:28 PM

heh. scratch that off my list of places to visit and familiarize myself with in Vancouver.