DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GoPro Users: speed tested your adhesive mounts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/486208-gopro-users-speed-tested-your-adhesive-mounts.html)

Ivan Jasper October 15th, 2010 10:46 PM

GoPro Users: speed tested your adhesive mounts?

Looking at mounting to the wingstrut of a Cessena 182, subjecting the camera to about 150 mph. Yes? No?

How about the suction cup mount?

Chris Luker October 19th, 2010 11:19 AM

Anything you mount on the outside needs to be approved by the FAA... usually...

Robert Turchick October 19th, 2010 01:03 PM

Chris is right. You can get in a LOT of trouble if they catch you and if it falls off, it becomes a projectile and could kill someone. PLEASE don't do it.

Tim Kolb October 19th, 2010 07:21 PM

I think the camera would function at that speed, but you'd want to put the closed back on the canister...I've only used the suction cup on a car up to about 90 mph (on a track)

I would think that there would be FAA approved base mounts you could mount the camera onto, but i'd agree with the rest here, attaching stuff to aircraft introduces a LOT of risks over traveling even the same speed across the ground.

Bill Davis October 19th, 2010 09:22 PM

At those speeds, even if you CAN mount it, you're going to face a WHOLE lot of wind buffeting.

I've worked a good bit with auto mounts at speed, and anything above 35-40mph can set up a wind oscillation that will destroy your shots.

Look up Tyler Mount for helicopter shots and you'll see that it's an integration of the camera AND Gyro AND a fully-enclosed wind shield that allows stable video as speed.

That's physics for you.

Bob Hart October 20th, 2010 12:03 AM

Suction mount? Most definitely a big "NO". Approved hardware mount only. Something coming off and going clunk on the horizontal stabiliser is not a good thing. Reskinning the stabiliser leading edge is not cheap.

As unlikely as it may seem, if there was pre-existing undetected wear and tear back there, an ongoing sound like somebody rippling a full 4 litre olive-oil can, resonating forward through the airframe after the clunk will make your blood run cold

This also assumes the camera-enclosure integrity is up to scratch at the airspeeds chosen. They can't be too bad if skydivers fly them but a skydiver might be able to toss it away if the worst comes to the worst.

As unlikely an occurance as it may be, an aircraft control surface jammed by a piece of camera or enclosure wedged in the mass balance is not something you will be able to resolve while airbourne.

Of course you might still decide to audition for the Darwins. That's your call.

I get told off for being an aviation harbinger of doom but better said than dead as far as the conscience goes.

There has been some remarkable airbourne footage shot with those amazing little cameras.

Dean Sensui October 20th, 2010 03:07 AM

Consult with a licensed A&P mechanic to develop some good solutions.