DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Removing 3M GO Pro mounts from car (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/494577-removing-3m-go-pro-mounts-car.html)

George Wilkins April 14th, 2011 01:15 PM

Removing 3M GO Pro mounts from car

I wanted to pass along a little trick I discovered trying to remove a 3M Go Pro mount from the hood of my car.

I mounted two of them on the hood of my 2009 Saturn VUE, about halfway up on the driver's side. I had to use the 3M mounts because I had forgotten my suction cup mount and I was too far from home with a client to go back. So, I ended up using two of the 3M mounts on my car so we could get two different angles while driving the car.

I got home and thought about how I was going to remove those things and I went looking for my can of WD40... well to make a longer story short, I took the can and a small wad of paper towels and shot the WD40 under the 3M pads all around both of them and wiped up the excess.

I waited until the next afternoon to let the WD40 soak in and tugged on them a bit before I took a flat blade screw driver and pushed on the 3M pads between the car's hood and the plastic Go Pro mount and after some little work I was able to twist the 3M pad and the mount attached to it right off without damaging the paint.

I have to admit, I plan to use the suction cup next time, but just in case... you can remove the 3M Go Pro mounts without damaging your car's paint.

Good Luck! My HD Hero Go Pro has been a nice addition to my camera package.
George Wilkins

Wayne Reimer April 14th, 2011 02:53 PM

Re: Removing 3M GO Pro mounts from car

Another "trick" for removing them is to use a piece of waxed dental floss. If you are careful, you can position it between the adhesive and the surface it's stuck to and using a sawing motion, "cut" through the adhesive and lift it off

Marcus Martell April 15th, 2011 07:54 AM

wd40?what is it^
thx

Bill Koehler April 15th, 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1639182)
wd40?what is it^
thx

WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WD-40 Lubricates, Cleans, Protects, Penetrates & Displaces Moisture

Tom Hardwick April 15th, 2011 10:13 AM

You forgot, 'removes GoPro mounts', Bill.

Dean Sensui April 16th, 2011 03:28 AM

A thousand and one uses. Now a thousand and two.

-- quoted from the movie "FX".

Trevor Meeks April 16th, 2011 06:45 PM

I've also heard that using a hair dryer to warm the adhesive works well too. I have yet to try this but sure hope that it works... the last mount I removed from my airplane pulled a chunk of paint off, down to bare metal! eeek

Wayne Reimer April 17th, 2011 07:21 AM

a hair dryer or heat gun will work really well. That, and the dental floss trick, is an old motorcycle riders trick for removing adhesive reflectors from front forks, etc.

Being an old motorcycle rider, I've taken off a few reflectors ( and a couple of gopro mounts) that way. It works very well, without having to clean up WD-40 afterward