DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Just got the announcement in my inbox... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/501941-just-got-announcement-my-inbox.html)

Greg Boston October 24th, 2011 10:24 AM

Just got the announcement in my inbox...

http://gopro.com/gopro%c2%ae-launche...deo-streaming/

Finally! And the wi-fi backpack will be an excellent accessory. Hope it's backwards compatible with first gen Hero HD camera.

-gb-

Bill Ward October 24th, 2011 10:47 AM

Re: Just got the announcement in my inbox...

Just beat me to it!

I like the alleged sharper glass, and the 170-degree FoV in full 1080 HD...but curiously, the specs don't list what the bitrate recording is, compared to the 15 mbt/s of the original GorPro.

I wonder if they upped that as well?

Chris Barcellos October 24th, 2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 1691171)
GoPro® Launches HD HERO2® Camera Announces Wi-Fi Remote Control and Video Streaming

Finally! And the wi-fi backpack will be an excellent accessory. Hope it's backwards compatible with first gen Hero HD camera.

-gb-

Looking at the accessories, Back Pack will work with original camera too, but will not provide a live stream, like the new camera will. I guess start and stop only.

Gerald OConnor October 24th, 2011 02:27 PM

Just ordered the gopro2 Motorsports kit from there site. I forgot to order the LCD back. I'll pick one up at best buy.

Aaron Fowler October 24th, 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward (Post 1691179)
...but curiously, the specs don't list what the bitrate recording is, compared to the 15 mbt/s of the original GoPro.

I wonder if they upped that as well?

Bill, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the answer is no.

I'm rather interested in the "Professional Low Light Performance" and the ability to change the FOV without having to change the recording format.

Also, does anyone know if the camera supports PAL frame rates? Or if it's coming in the near future?

Aaron Fowler October 25th, 2011 04:25 PM

To answer my own question, yes it does. I don't understand why they wouldn't just put a reference to PAL standards on their website...

Bill Ward October 26th, 2011 10:20 AM

Aaron: I'm assuming if they boosted the bitrate, they would be making a big deal out of it. However; unless I'm just missing it, there is no mention of exactly what bitrate this camera records at, unlike the specs page on the old Hero.

Aaron Fowler October 26th, 2011 04:51 PM

From the GoPro FAQ (linked above):

Quote:

Can I edit videos from the original HD HERO into the same timeline as video from the HD HERO2?

* Yes, the video formats are the same so the files can be easily edited together.
Although it doesn't mention bitrates, I'm sure it's exactly the same as the original HD HERO.

Greg Boston October 27th, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1691196)
Looking at the accessories, Back Pack will work with original camera too, but will not provide a live stream, like the new camera will. I guess start and stop only.

That's interesting, seeing as how the current one can output a live SD stream while recording. I would have thought they could achieve the same out of the wi-fi link.

-gb-

Ian Newland November 3rd, 2011 06:15 PM

There's a hardware component missing off the HD1 Circuit board ( marked Wi-fi). The HD2 is a completely different inside the case. Some future hardware in the HD2 will be enabled via firmware.

Of interest to the film community, 24p already exists in the HD2, either the next FW upgrade will enable it or the next one after that. Confirmed by GoPro.

R