DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GoPro Protune (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/507244-gopro-protune.html)

Stanley Szpala April 24th, 2012 08:51 PM

GoPro Protune

I've just installed the firmware upgrade to Hero 2, and I'm having a hard time confirming the new features described on the webpage, e.g.

"Key features of the GoPro Protune mode include:
24fps frame rate, enabling GoPro HERO2 content to be easily intercut with other sources without a frame rate conversion;
35Mbps data rate for the industry’s highest quality compressed image with virtually zero artifacts;"

I don't see any of these in the setup of my (upgraded) Hereo2. I checked the bitrate of the clips and it is still about 15Mbps. What am I missing?

I do see a benefit of using CineForm Studio: it converts mp4 to avi, and this removes most of the compression artifacts, which is awesome. But this is not the same as recording initially at 35Mbps. I would say post-recoding conversion of mp4 to avi is a little like watching dvd on FullHD TV: much better than NTSC, but will never be as good as blueray.

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2012 09:20 PM

Re: GoPro Protune

Someone who knows for certain can chime in, but I was under the impression that the firmware update that will include Protune won't be released until at least mid-May or so?

Bryce Comer April 24th, 2012 09:28 PM

Hey Stanley,
Not sure that the update that's currently up on their website is the Protune one you're talking about. It only describes it as V.70
They also state on their wesite that the Protune firmware update will be available this summer.
Hope this helps.
Bryce

Stanley Szpala April 24th, 2012 11:16 PM

Looks like I need to be more patient...

Ben Fullerton April 25th, 2012 01:57 PM

Doesn't it already have 24 fps? 35Mbps will be nice!

Mike Dulay April 27th, 2012 04:10 AM

When I checked my Hero 2 it was already on v.70. And the last time I recall doing an update was February to get the 3D hero to work. Looks like we'll have to wait for that version to increment.

Mike Dulay June 9th, 2012 10:58 PM

Current Firmware: 8.12.124
Release Date: 6/4/2012
Changes: Wi-Fi compatibility

Downloaded the new Cineform Studio released from 6/4/2012 and patched the firmware. Date and other settings got reset. I don't notice any new settings within the camera for video modes. In the Cineform Studio there is a new preset option in Edit called 'Protune'. Seems nothing more than increased saturation on the default footage. Is that it?

Ian Newland June 10th, 2012 10:03 PM

Keep waiting, ProTune not released yet.

Dean Sensui June 12th, 2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Dulay (Post 1737513)
Seems nothing more than increased saturation on the default footage. Is that it?

It's a LOT more than that.

http://gopro.com/gopro-partners-with...2-at-nab-2012/

Key features of the GoPro Protune mode include:

24fps frame rate, enabling GoPro HERO2 content to be easily intercut with other sources without a frame rate conversion;

35Mbps data rate for the industry’s highest quality compressed image with virtually zero artifacts;

Neutral color profile, allowing for greater flexibility in a color correction workflow;

Log curve encoding, offering more detail in shadows and highlights;

Reduced sharpening and noise reduction for improved flexibility in professional post- production and color design workflows.

Jason Garrett June 12th, 2012 07:00 PM

I just updated mine; don’t see any 24fps option nor anything about bitrate being adjustable

Dean Sensui June 12th, 2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Garrett (Post 1738019)
I just updated mine; don’t see any 24fps option nor anything about bitrate being adjustable

Features will be in "ProTune", available sometime this summer.

Ian Newland June 12th, 2012 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason, check the post just above >Protune is NOT released yet, it's a CAMERA FW update due to be released SOON.

This is an actual comparison of with Protune and without. (click for full size)
Notice the flatter profile and lack of compression artifacts.

Nate Haustein June 12th, 2012 07:55 PM

This gets me excited for using my GoPro again. Never really liked how it intercut, but now perhaps I can match it up a little better. Thanks for the screen grabs, seems to really make a difference for an "all-auto" camera.

Jason Garrett June 13th, 2012 01:54 PM

Yeah, I was just saying I don’t think that was ‘The’ update that everyone is waiting for

Prech Marton June 18th, 2012 03:13 AM

Any news about the release date?