DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sneak Peek at Sony POV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/508891-sneak-peek-sony-pov.html)

Lynne Whelden October 9th, 2012 05:23 PM

Re: Sneak Peek at Sony POV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1757478)
Duane,

Set up all three on the same mounted surface that you can move around.
Do fast action by the camera.
Camera on the fast action.
Timelaps
Move from dark to light and back to dark.
Put under water in tough conditions.

That should be a good start.

Then show on a split screen and individual screened shots.

Please get back to us next year once you've done that!

Mark Rosenzweig October 9th, 2012 05:29 PM

This "Snake Run" video is also terrible - blotchy and low resolution as heck. This cannot be what the camera produces - I have seen much better. What is going on?

Paul Cronin October 9th, 2012 05:35 PM

LOL Lynne,

He asked

Woody Sanford October 9th, 2012 05:51 PM

Took the suction cup mount for a first run today. That thing is pretty stout and latches on pretty strong. I even mounted to the dinner table so it doesn't need a perfect;y smooth surface to have a strong mount. Got a little vibration with it mounted on the hood but it did real well in the cab on the inside of a window. I can see a lot of use out of this mount for me.

Sony HDR-AS15 Suction Cup Mount.mp4 - YouTube

Duane Steiner October 9th, 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1757702)
Please get back to us next year once you've done that!

LOL! Next week I'll try putting all 4 POV that I own on the front of my car and drive around. I am sure people will give me some strange looks.

Duane Steiner October 9th, 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1757709)
This "Snake Run" video is also terrible - blotchy and low resolution as heck. This cannot be what the camera produces - I have seen much better. What is going on?

On my computer the videos looks good. I think many videos on YouTube do not represent the real quality of what a camera can do. Any idea on the best settings to export to to get the best quality?

Paul Cronin October 9th, 2012 07:12 PM

Thanks Duane,

At least you will get some good looks on the clips.

Mark Rosenzweig October 9th, 2012 08:55 PM

Like Woody, I am enjoying my Action Cam. Here is a time lapse from Grand Central Terminal, one of the darkest and busiest major train stations in the world:

Sony HDR AS15 Action Cam Time Lapse Video: Grand Central Terminal! - YouTube

Select 1080p.

This was in the morning non rush hour.

Don Litten October 10th, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Steiner (Post 1757727)
LOL! Next week I'll try putting all 4 POV that I own on the front of my car and drive around. I am sure people will give me some strange looks.

I do that all the time Duane.

I have a lot of magnet mounts I've made and 6 GoPro HD2's and the one Sony plus a coupe of the old GP HD's.

Every now and then I'll put them all over the Bronco, go to the City and get video of the animals.

Mark Rosenzweig October 10th, 2012 11:31 AM

"On my computer the videos looks good. I think many videos on YouTube do not represent the real quality of what a camera can do. Any idea on the best settings to export to to get the best quality?"

I worry whether what people are doing to their videos in editing combined with what Youtube does is giving a misleading picture of what the capability of the camera is.

The best thing to do is to upload the raw file straight from the camera to Youtube - then there is only one conversion by Youtube. You can trim and cut and merge clips in Sony Play Memories without any conversion. If you "export" you are recompressing the original, so that will degrade unless you use a very highbitrate.

One way to know better what is going on: does your "exported" video look better than the Youtube version? or is it already worse than the original?

Duane Steiner October 10th, 2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1757868)
"On my computer the videos looks good. I think many videos on YouTube do not represent the real quality of what a camera can do. Any idea on the best settings to export to to get the best quality?"

I worry whether what people are doing to their videos in editing combined with what Youtube does is giving a misleading picture of what the capability of the camera is.

The best thing to do is to upload the raw file straight from the camera to Youtube - then there is only one conversion by Youtube. You can trim and cut and merge clips in Sony Play Memories without any conversion. If you "export" you are recompressing the original, so that will degrade unless you use a very highbitrate.

One way to know better what is going on: does your "exported" video look better than the Youtube version? or is it already worse than the original?

I'll do a clip to test that.

Woody Sanford October 10th, 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1757868)

Well I tried to compare but I can't send video to my phone. When I open play memories mobile I don't get an option to copy or upload or whatever. I tried the send function on the camera but nothing. I'm using a casio commando and sony says its good to go for compatibility but its a no go on sending to the phone and will only open to control it. No real biggie.

I did read on the Sony store page of the HDR-AS15, under the heading "No Wires, all good" that it stated " Just select the clips and the camera will transfer and compress web-optimized movies and photos without a single cable."

It says that it does compress the video files to "Optimize" for the web. I checked the metadata on the files I download from the camera via USB and I'm filming with the 1080 30p with steady cam on in the 120 degree setting and it says that I'm getting a bit rate of 16mbs. It's actually varying from 16.01mbs to about 16.4mbs depending on how much color information there is I guess. I don't have a cable yet for capturing HDMI out but will order one to see. It would be interesting to see that the camera does to the video before it sends it to the phone. My camera says it "Prep's" then "awaits" then is "Ready" then it "closes" but I don't get anything to the phone when using the send function.

So it sounds like there will still be some double compression regardless but I can't check to be sure or what the camera will output sending to a phone.

Buba Kastorski October 11th, 2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1750647)
my understanding was that WiFi is for the file transfer only, but i bought one anyways

and returned it after couple days, but ended up with Sony GW77, slightly larger, double the price, but the picture quality is beyond any expectations.

Woody Sanford October 11th, 2012 11:47 AM

I got it to upload to the phone and the file I got was the same as what I download via USB. I shot with the steady shot 120 degree setting at 1080 30p and got a 16mbps MP4 file. I downloaded it from the phone as I could not email it to myself for some reason but sure that is a phone thing I have to figure out.

I had to hit the "Reset" function and then it uploaded to the phone just fine like it should have. I guess thats something I could understand and a normal type glitch. You just have to use the "Send" function and do not start play memories mobile till the camera says "Ready" then instead of the phone initiating camera control, it will access the camera data and give you the options to copy or upload.

I copied to the camera but will try upload next and see if it is the same. For now it is good to know I can copy to the phone and it will be the same as much of my work is in the middle of no where in the woods where I can charge things but should I run out of storage, I now have a back up.

Will test the upload feature and see.

Woody Sanford October 11th, 2012 12:43 PM

Here is a quick test of copying to the phone and uploading to youtube via wifi from the phone as I can't email it to youtube.

Sony HDR-AS15 copy to Andriod and uploaded to youtube via phone - YouTube

Viewing at 720, it doesn't look any different than a lot of other footage I have seen and the difference between good 720 footage and 1080 when viewing full screen is minimal at least on the computer I'm using. I believe picture quality is coming down to the auto functions and how they are influenced by the environment your shooting in.

I've had noisy video, white balance issues and focus issues that seem to be complicated by noise in poor lighting. To me, I see the auto function have more effect on quality. Hopefully a firmware update could give us some control over one or two of those.