DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sony FDR X3000 audio Test (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/533249-sony-fdr-x3000-audio-test.html)

Mark Rosenzweig December 12th, 2016 07:52 PM

Sony FDR X3000 audio Test

The audio of the Sony X3000 is excellent. Here is a test: an *unamplified* violin playing in the basement of Grand Central Terminal. Of course there is lots of noise - people walking around, construction, carts going by. But the violin comes through clearly. More importantly, there is no sound pumping from bad AGC - when the violinist stops playing, you do not hear a bump up in background noise. And the sound of the violin is gorgeous.

Handheld.

John Nantz December 13th, 2016 11:32 AM

Re: Sony FDR X3000 audio Test

Mark - thanks for posting your audio test example as that is good to know.

In addition to the audio, one other “test” I noticed was how the video can be done incognito, or candid, as hardly anyone seemed to notice the cam. On the other hand, if the video was being done with a large cam then there would surely be a different reaction from the passersby. There are many people who react differently if they know they’re being recorded. Something like a shoulder cam installed inside an attache case (to hide it and with a hole for the lens) then mounted on a tripod probably wouldn’t cut it.

The past couple months I was trying to take candid family videos with the AX53 but is was difficult, even without the Rode SVM on it. I was able to get some but not nearly as much as I would have liked. Last week I had it locked off in an out-of-the-way corner of the room and the birthday girl asked me about the little red flashing light on the cam. Oops, reminder to self: cover light with some tape.

The Grand Central Terminal looks like an interesting structure. I was looking at the support beams in the ceiling and the wide clear span. Impressive.

Just noticed your note at the bottom of the post, and you did that video handheld? Wow! Also impressive!

Mark Rosenzweig December 13th, 2016 11:55 AM

Thanks for the comments. The X3000 actually has an option to turn off the led's that light up when shooting - with a choice of which ones to turn off (there is one in front, on top, and in back).

It is really fun to carry a little 4K, stabilized camcorder in one's pocket and shoot anywhere, inconspicuously. The good audio and video are a bonus.

Ron Evans December 13th, 2016 02:10 PM

The AX53 has the option to turn off all the lights too. I shoot in the theatre and all my cameras have the record lights off and just the card indicators light up on the back or side. No need to stick tape over them.

Ron Evans

Jay Massengill December 16th, 2016 08:25 AM

Has anyone tried the Live-View wrist remote for the X3000? Or do you just use your phone?

Mark Rosenzweig December 16th, 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1924991)
Has anyone tried the Live-View wrist remote for the X3000? Or do you just use your phone?

I use the live-view remote attached to the Sony finger holder. This makes the X3000 essentially a one-unit tiny, pocketable 4K camcorder with BOSS (and good audio).

Mark Rosenzweig December 27th, 2016 08:48 PM

More tests; unamplified soprano and toy trains in dim Grand Central Terminal

It's stereo!

John Nantz June 22nd, 2018 05:08 PM

Ron -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1924872)
The AX53 has the option to turn off all the lights too. I shoot in the theatre and all my cameras have the record lights off and just the card indicators light up on the back or side. No need to stick tape over them.
Ron Evans

So that's what they are!

I was just looking at the new-to-me cam and noticed the little clear "dot" on the top and wondered what it was for. After reading your post I can see where the front and rear ones are so this is really good to know. My wife always pings on me (Navy term) to "Read the instructions!" but that's not nearly as fun as playing with the new thing first.

This sure is one cute little cam!

Jay -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1924991)

After going back and forth on which kit to get I opted to pass on the Live-View remote and just go with the iPhone. The menu on the phone, given the larger real estate, allows for very easy access to the menu. For my intended purpose this works very well; however, for a different use I can see where the L-V remote could work better, like in a family reunion or something like that where one doesn't want to tie up two hands holding a phone in one and the cam in the other.