DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Some ??? about my new FDR 3000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/533664-some-about-my-new-fdr-3000-a.html)

Steven Digges March 1st, 2017 06:24 PM

Some ??? about my new FDR 3000

I bought the live view with it thinking it might be a nice convenience feature when I don't want to use the phone. Now I regret it. It randomly drops the connection at any distance. Sometimes more often than others, it is intermittent and sometimes often so driving me crazy. I have the wiFi turned up Hi. Is there anything else I can do? Play Memories holds the signal much better. Anyone else having this issue?

As I try to wrap my head around things it looks like Bluetooth is only for turning the camera on and off remotely. All other controls go through wiFi. Is this correct? If so then I can leave Bluetooth off to save power and loose nothing but on/off remote option. Is that correct?

I appreciate all of the information and samples you guys are putting up. I bought one of the $25.00 grab bags of 17 cheap Chinese accessories off of Amazon. Some of it might actually work. But after looking at Mark R footage I think I need the finger holder. Mark W thanks for the info on battery times and overheating. I picked up extra batteries because of that.

This thing blows my mind when I think about what it does for such a small cost....incredible! Now its time to start shooting and see what I can do....

Kind Regards,

Steve

Paul Cronin March 2nd, 2017 10:17 AM

Re: Some ??? about my new FDR 3000

Steve,

I am just charging up my batteries and remove now. Will test it a bit this weekend. With my 1000 the remove never dropped connection unless I stuck the camera underwater which makes sense. But as soon as I came above the surface it worked fine.

Hope the 3000 is the same or better. Never used bluetooth only wifi.

Mark Rosenzweig March 2nd, 2017 08:21 PM

"As I try to wrap my head around things it looks like Bluetooth is only for turning the camera on and off remotely. All other controls go through wiFi. Is this correct?"

Yes.

"If so then I can leave Bluetooth off to save power and loose nothing but on/off remote option. Is that correct?"

Yes.

Steven Digges March 2nd, 2017 09:48 PM

Hey Mark R,

In the video you posted when you shot the ride in the Subaru with the X1000V I have a few questions please. I am downloading the action cam software now.

Do you think your actual speeds were recorded correctly? It looked like there was an obvious lag in the graphical speedometer but it was also hard to imagine that you were only going 30 MPH most of the time, I'm just curious, it is hard to tell from watching the video. It looked much faster?

Were was the camera? Suction cup mounted on the dash? Hood mounted?

I have looked at every video you posted. Thank you for the information. It looks like you may have developed a preference for vivid mode? And you are holding the damn thing so still all of the time! That is not just the BOSS, I can see your steady hand in the shots.

Mark W. Your GoPro vs Sony FDR X3000 hood mounted comparison video is all anyone should ever have to see to know what camera to buy. Incredible, thank you.

Sorry, I should have these comments in that thread but I got to the party late anyway.

Paul C. I have the new version of the live view remote. I'm guessing yours is the previous one? Since you just upgraded to the FDR X3000 (I think I read that) I hope it continues to work well for you. Please let me know if you start dropping the connection. I am running some tests to see if I can figure out how to make mine better.

Thanks Gentlemen,

Steve

Mark Watson March 2nd, 2017 09:48 PM

With the X3000, I always lose the connection when the camera is underwater. I've had enough problems with getting the wristwatch remote and camera to connect, that I try to avoid using it when I know I won't have time to fool around with getting it to work. I just plug in my SmallHD DP6 so I can aim the camera correctly, lock it down and unplug the monitor. A smaller monitor than the DP6 is something I'm looking for now. But it does work great, just a little.... cumbersome.

Mark

Steven Digges March 2nd, 2017 10:03 PM

Thank you Mark. That helps because first I am trying to figure out if my camera and remote are more buggy that they should be or if it just a temperamental system. Distance has nothing to do with my drop outs. They can be sitting next to each other. But when it works I can get thirty feet away sometimes. Frustrating...

I have three 7 inch field monitors, including a SmallHD AC7. I envisioned this thing being more portable than that ;-) ;-) :-)

Steve

Mark Watson March 2nd, 2017 10:08 PM

To be honest, I plan to review the instruction manual and see if I'm doing something wrong. Sometimes it works great, other times it turns into a button-pushing frenzy to get it to work. With multiple X3000 cameras, rather than connect to the one I'm holding in my hand, it will connect and turn on the one in my backpack. I'm just wondering if there's some operator error going on here... I think it should be intuitive and easy, maybe it's not.

Mark

Steven Digges March 2nd, 2017 10:30 PM

I'm in the same boat. And I just got mine so I have not beat it up yet. I am a manual reading geek when I have time, I usually do not turn here first. Lets figure this out, it is to awesome to be a pain in the ***.

I just tested my LG G5 android against the live view for distance. The result was EXACTLY the same. So the limiting power is the transmission from the camera. No surprise but I thought I would check to be sure.

So far it really looks like I have better connectivity and other improvements if I keep Blue tooth turned off. And thats OK.

Steve

Paul Cronin March 3rd, 2017 06:25 AM

With my 1000 I never had a problem with the remote, up to about 150’. Used it on about 50 shoots and it worked great as a hidden POV.

The 3000 yesterday worked great with remote, and I do like having the option to turn the camera on and off from the remote. In certain situations it could be very helpful for me when I have the camera mounted out of reach, and only turn it on for a few clips out of the day.

Still a lot to dive through in the menus before I am going to use it on a shoot, but seems like a nice step from the 1000.

Steven Digges March 24th, 2017 11:15 PM

I have not used the camera a lot. But I have tried it enough to know I can not recommend the live view remote. The connectivity is absolutely unreliable. Some times it works and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it stays connected and sometimes it does not. And, worst of all, as someone else said, sometimes it turns into a button pushing frenzy! That happens when the shot is there in front of you and you really want it.......It sucks!

Steve

Mark Watson March 25th, 2017 03:39 AM

I agree with that Steven. After reviewing the manual for the remote operation, I see where I messed up when the remote was turning on the wrong camera. Easy fix. But after a bit of testing, both in single cam and multi cam operation, the connection is just too unreliable for me. I guess it's just too weak of a signal and too susceptible to interference. It will definitely start dropping out if more than about 10 feet come between the remote and camera. When they are just 3 feet apart, occasionally there was at least one camera that wouldn't respond, and it goes searching for the lost signal.

It's great when it works, I can get all five cameras to turn on/off and start/stop record together. But with too many dropped connections I will use my DP6 to get the cameras aimed up and just control them manually.

Mark