DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hero 7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/536257-hero-7-a.html)

Greg Boston September 20th, 2018 08:13 PM

Hero 7

Took a look at GoPro site today after reading about the new Hero 7 arrival. Looks like they are giving $100 trade in for any old digital camera, working or not. The Hero 7 Black can livestream to Facebook (didn’t see any other sites mentioned).

I didn’t pull the trigger. At least they finally relented and got rid of the ridiculous log in requirement on their mobile app in order to use it.

Anyone else have some thoughts on the latest offering, given all the competition in that space these days?

Mark Rosenzweig September 21st, 2018 01:34 PM

Re: Hero 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 1946920)
Took a look at GoPro site today after reading about the new Hero 7 arrival. Looks like they are giving $100 trade in for any old digital camera, working or not. The Hero 7 Black can livestream to Facebook (didn’t see any other sites mentioned).

I didn’t pull the trigger. At least they finally relented and got rid of the ridiculous log in requirement on their mobile app in order to use it.

Anyone else have some thoughts on the latest offering, given all the competition in that space these days?

What is class-leading:

1. 4K 60p with hyper stabilization. Having any stabilization at 4K60p is unique, but the stabilization is supposed to rival gimbals. It makes sophisticated use of gps and the accelerometer to anticipate camera movement, making use of an expanded 2GB RAM. The posted videos using this are impressive. Nothing like it.

2. Time-lapses with camera movement that are not jerky, again exploiting the processor and stability algorthms.

Waterproof, robust, tiny, with a log gamma picture profile and raw color for grading, live stream to more than Facebook, RAW stills, ISO and shutter adjustable, manual WB, etc.

For $299 sending in junk, nonworking camera.

Dan Brockett October 3rd, 2018 10:00 PM

Unfortunately their special offer ended. I was all ready to pull the trigger on two and it disappeared.

Nate Haustein October 3rd, 2018 10:30 PM

Yeah, same here. Trade up program is just for the Fusion now.

Ended up still buying a Hero 7 Black on impulse and used it today for a POV shoot. Was really impressed with the ProTune images, very sharp. I lit my shots of course, as it was an interior shoot, but thought it looked really great.

Dan Brockett October 11th, 2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1947161)
Yeah, same here. Trade up program is just for the Fusion now.

Ended up still buying a Hero 7 Black on impulse and used it today for a POV shoot. Was really impressed with the ProTune images, very sharp. I lit my shots of course, as it was an interior shoot, but thought it looked really great.

I did the same thing, I missed the Go Pro offer, I thought they would have it up for at least a few weeks but they didn't. I ended up going to Best Buy and paying full boat, not the end of the world. I used it for a shoot over last weekend, I used it for some car mounted hyperlapses and unfortunately it kept losing connection with the app on my phone. On my old Hero 4s, no big deal, it would keep recording but with the 7 it would stop recording. The phone was located less than 3' away. I ended up manually starting the 7 without the app, then it would work. Kind of a PITA.

The images looked good, the stabilized hyperlapses look good and overall, the 7 looks better than the 4, 5 or 6s. Shot some regular footage too with the 7 mounted on the car hood for a driving up to a building, footage looked good and the stabilization seems pretty amazing. I am cautious about shooting 4K 60p, I am shooting 2.7k 60p instead, it seems that some of the cards I have used seem to have a hard time keeping up with recording 4K 60p.

Overall, 7 seems good, but like all Go Pros, you can't count on it always working and recording, Go Pros always have been hit or miss with reliability and probably always will be.