DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   do monopods need that panning handle thing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/12361-do-monopods-need-panning-handle-thing.html)

Jake McMurray July 22nd, 2003 10:52 PM

do monopods need that panning handle thing

you think I would take the time to look up what that thing is called that pans the tripod or monopod head. Is this a necessity on a monopod. I don't see the handle on bogen monopods but I've seen it on a few others like a sunpak. Can you buy one of these handles as an attachement. Is panning while holding a monopod too difficult to even include on of these?

Basically I'm looking to buy a cheap monopod, as I can't afford a tripod for a little bit and I need something. I'm trying to stay around $50 or less unless there is just some must have feature thats just above that.

You guys now what i'm talking about...its that handle thing...alright you get it.
Jake

Ken Tanaka July 22nd, 2003 11:24 PM

Jake,
That's actually an excellent question.

When used for still cameras, a monopod's primary application, the answer is no. Your right hand will likely remain on the camera with index finger poised on the shutter release button.

But a pan handle can be an extremely handy feature when using a monopod with a video camera . I occasionally use a lightweight Velbon "video" monopod featuring a pan handle. I typically mount a remote controller on the handle and run the camera's function with my right hand on the handle (thumb on the controller) and my left hand under the head. It makes for better, more stable control of the camera.

So, if you're shopping for a monopod, I'd strongly recommend looking for one that does have a pan handle.

Jake McMurray July 22nd, 2003 11:28 PM

I actually thought it was called a "pan handle" but I don't know thought it was wierd.

I see what your saying. The only one I could see with a pan handle at bh was a sunpak. have no idea how good it is but I'm not going to be overly picky at this point. Does anyone know of any with a pan handle in my $50 or so price range. Thanks.

Ken Tanaka July 22nd, 2003 11:37 PM

I use the Velbon UP 4DX II 4 Section Unipod, which features a pan handle. B&H price: $33.95

Jake McMurray July 22nd, 2003 11:44 PM

huh, I missed that one, do you recommend that one? For that price I'm not expecting much.

Ken Tanaka July 22nd, 2003 11:50 PM

It's fine. I don't use it often, but it's light, compact and easy to manage. My only suggestion is to consider detaching the strap. Although handly for carrying, it attaches with a metal ring that has a tendency to rattle against the post.

Virginia Benedict July 27th, 2003 03:29 PM

Can one outfit a panhadle to the Bogen monopod? It would be cool to have it work seamless.

I should go to the Manfrotto website to verify this.

Chris Mah July 30th, 2003 10:26 PM

I have a Manfrotto 681 monopod that I use with a Manfrotto 128RC micro fluid head all the time. I use this combination in tight places where my tripod won't fit or isn't allowed. Most of the Manfrotto monopods I've seen have the dual threads so any of their threaded tripod heads should fit.

I also sometimes mount a 501 quick release plate onto the monopod when I need to share it with my tripod. The 128RC uses a much smaller quick release plate. I much prefer to use the monopod with a pan handle if possible.

A couple of months ago I shot a three hour ballet from the wings. A tripod wasn't possible because the dancers were running past me as they came on and off the stage. Also I wasn't keen on hand holding a PD-150 for three hours.

A lot of the shots were from floor level looking up towards the dancers. I found that if I put the end of the pan handle on the floor and the monopod stretched out behind me, I could pivot the camera forwards and backwards to get a really stable shot.

Dave Largent August 21st, 2003 02:44 AM

Ken,
Which remote do you recommend? (I assume it's connected
through the lanc jack?) I heard Canon makes one that's as good
or better than Varizoom for alot less?

Dave

Ken Tanaka August 21st, 2003 09:18 AM

Dave,
I reviewed the Zoe controller as well as Varizoom's VZ Rock controller. Chris reviewed the larger Varizoom VZ-Pro LX controller. I own all three and they are each very good. I recently used a monopod to shoot an event and used my Zoe on the handle for that function. It worked just fine. Similarly, I've just completed three days of shooting a scripted drama and have been using my VZ Rock for that work, again with no problems whatsoever.

I've no experience with either the Canon or the Bogen controllers.

In general, after many, many hours of testing, reviewing and using various controllers my main advice would be (1) know what control funtions you [i]absolutely must[/u] get in a controller, (2) expect LANC compatibility quircks, especially with non-Sony cameras, (3) be sure you can return whatever you buy.