DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Monopods why so difficult? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/12748-monopods-why-so-difficult.html)

Matt Stahley August 1st, 2003 09:19 PM

Slik EZ pod

Anyone own or use one of these? What are your thoughts on the automatic spring and its build? Is it pretty sturdy?

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2003 10:05 PM

I have used them and they are designed for 35mm cameras (still). It should perform just fine with a lighter DV camera. However, with an XL1, or similar, it would show it's faults rather quickly, I would suspect. The spring mechanism seems fairly heavy duty, but the joints seem weak.

Boyd Ostroff August 1st, 2003 10:08 PM

I have one of these... or at least I think it's what you're talking about. It just says "SLIK", with no other identification or model number. I got it about 5 years ago to use with a still camera. I never made a lot of use of it though, I much prefer a real tripod. I tried it with my video camera a few months back, and again found it less than useful. I guess it may be better than no support at all, but in no way can it replace a tripod.

And the spring release is really pretty nasty. I don't get the whole idea I guess. It's easy to accidently hit the button and then it flies open with a BANG.... depending on what's in its path, it could be very painful ;-) It even carries a warnimg sticker "Caution, when pressing release button, point it towards the ground". The spring action only provides about a 6" extension total, so what's the point? The leg consists of 4 regular snap locks for the telescoping section. Now if you open all those locks first, then hit the spring release, the whole thing will fly open, possibly poking out somebody's eye, but it looks kind of cool. You could also just let gravity do the job. Of course you still need to manually lock each snap. Like I said, I just don't get the whole idea of the spring loaded 6" section...

It seems pretty well made, although it looks a bit like some sort of strange high tech weapon when carried around with its strap... might raise a few eyebrows these days.

Matt Stahley August 1st, 2003 10:45 PM

I had a feeling it rendered pretty useless. I thought the head itself looked pretty decent seems you can pan and tilt. I've been having trouble findng a monopod with a decent head on it. Doesnt have to have a pan handle but would like for an adjustable head.

Boyd Ostroff August 1st, 2003 10:54 PM

The head on mine only tilts, no panning and no handle. However, with a monopod why would you want to pan? The whole thing just spins on its single leg. The tilting action is just a simple friction lock mechanism and isn't especially smooth. It does have a quick-release mounting plate though.

I agree with Jeff, it's really designed for lightweight still cameras. The whole thing is a bit wobbly when fully extended.