DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Monopod for my XL1S (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/30759-monopod-my-xl1s.html)

Andrew Petrie August 20th, 2004 09:53 AM

Monopod for my XL1S

I'm looking for the best monopod that can comfortably hold a Canon XL1. This is primarily used for a lot of run'n gun with my car club, as the tripod takes too long to back and set up when we're on cruises, or in a crowd.

So, naturally I'm looking for a monopod that can compact nicely, and extend quickly. Weight isn't so much of an issue, but going light is always a nice bonus.

Can anyone suggest a suitable monopod?

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2004 10:53 AM

We have oodles of posts concerning monopods here.

Personally, I don't feel that a monopod is a good choice for most video applications. I think you'll find them most common in situations that have traditionally been dominated by still photography (ex: weddings and wildlife...hmm...maybe they're more similar than I realized). Obviously they limit your vertical movement during a shot. But they do not offer much lateral stability. You may find that schlepping a monopod with an XL1 will be more work than value. So I recommend that if you're determined to try a monopod you get a dirt-cheap model first to see if the technique really meets your expectations. The fact is that there really isn't that much practical difference between a $50 monopod and a $600 model.

As an alternative, if you're having trouble with stability and/or fatigue I recommend considering a high-quality shoulder brace.

Have fun!

Robert Mann Z. August 20th, 2004 12:49 PM

the ohh so front heavy xl1 welcomes my monopod, on along day of shooting my carbon fiber gitzo is super light and gives me the help i need...i have quick release swivel bogen head on it so attaching and reattaching is painless,

i have been shooting this way for 3 years now, and don't ever plan on giving up my monopod, which i use now on my dvx...

monopod $99
head $24
super steady shots $priceless

Mike Rehmus August 20th, 2004 02:12 PM

The model (name brand forgotten) monopod that has a squeeze handle for releasing the telescoping sections would be much more useful than one with toggle-locks.

Alex Dolgin August 24th, 2004 08:57 AM

lateral stability is "under control"

It is a Bogen 3245. And btw our new monopod gadget helps in lateral stability a lot. Take a look at the sample video. If you are handy, you can easily go DIY.
Alex
http://dolgin.net/Director.htm

Dennis Kane August 24th, 2004 03:42 PM

I use a monopod from Adrorama and a small Bogen quick release ballhead. The monopod is small, extends to 68 inches if needed and is very light. Of course it does not replace a tripod, but in situations where my tripod is too inconvenient, it works very well. The whole system costs about $150.

Ursula Badertscher August 29th, 2004 02:13 AM

Monostat Switzerland makes real cool monopods which have a unique foot stabilizer with a ball inside. This makes horizontal and vertical movements a lot easier. www.monostat.com
But they are rather expensive. I paid about $ 120.00 for a RS16 Pro over here in Switzerland.

Andrew Petrie August 31st, 2004 11:20 AM

Thank you gentlemen, I'll take a look at everything suggested and find the one best suited for my needs.

Eric Chi September 2nd, 2004 02:29 AM

Re: Monopod for my XL1S

HI Andrew,

I'd highly recommend Bogen 3449 (449) Carbon One Carbon Fiber Monopod. It's light (only 1.1 lb) and strong. And is made of carbon fiber for only $146 at B&H. Add a Bogen swivel head ($17), the combo works great and you have no limitation vertically.

I also got a belt pouch from Orchard Hardware. The kit works wonderfully when I need to walk while taking video.

Eric.

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Petrie : I'm looking for the best monopod that can comfortably hold a Canon XL1. This is primarily used for a lot of run'n gun with my car club, as the tripod takes too long to back and set up when we're on cruises, or in a crowd.

So, naturally I'm looking for a monopod that can compact nicely, and extend quickly. Weight isn't so much of an issue, but going light is always a nice bonus.

Can anyone suggest a suitable monopod? -->>>

Alex Dolgin September 14th, 2004 08:18 AM

new 4 min clip using the monopod stabilizer

http://www.dolgin.net/Director.wmv

David Lau October 24th, 2004 05:02 PM

Hi I am new around here, just started to cross over to Video from Photography. Anyhow I was wondering is it crucial to use a head with a monopod. cause i never used a head on a mono ever. even in still photography.

Dennis Vogel October 29th, 2004 02:36 PM

With still photography the aim is to keep the camera still. With video the goal is to be able to move the camera smoothly. Those two requirements drive a whole lot of differences in tripod heads in particular.

For monopods it's not quite as clear but you still need to tilt at times which can only be done easily with a head. Panning isn't a problem so sometimes monopod heads only have a tilt function.

Good luck.

Dennis Vogel