DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Head option for a monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/46084-head-option-monopod.html)

Dan Shallenberger June 11th, 2005 09:39 PM

Head option for a monopod
I just bought a Bogen 503 head, and it comes with a quick release plate, and I have it installed on my PD170. Works perfect!

But, I want to get a monopod now in addition to my tripod, but I'm not sure what to do about the quick-release plate. If I get a monopod without a head, the I have to remove the plate to secure the camera to the monopod. If I get a head that doesn't use the 503 qr plate, I still have to remove the 503 plate and install the monopod head plate, and vise-versa to mount back on the tripod. Both options sound like a hassle.

What are my options? Should I just remove the qr plate and secure the camera to the monopod? Or is there and option where the same qr plate will work for both the 503 and a reasonably small head for a monopod? The 503 qr plate seems so large.


Mark Von Lanken June 13th, 2005 08:32 AM

Hi Dan,

I believe what you are looking for is this.

It a Bogen 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly for about $50. I guess you could look on ebay for a better deal.

These quick release adapters are the way to go. I have them on my monpod and glidecam. It makes it so easy to go from your tripod to monopod to glidecam in just seconds.

Dan Shallenberger June 13th, 2005 09:21 AM

Thanks Mark! That's exactly what I was looking for.

The $50 price tag seems steep, but the convenience is worth it. I will check eBay though... every once in a while a good is found there.


Bob Costa June 13th, 2005 09:23 PM

The downside of not haveiong a swivel (tilt) on your monopod is it may be harder to control, and also harder to do those cool overhead shots that Mark does. Mark, don't you have a regular 501 head on your mono?

Mark Von Lanken June 13th, 2005 10:08 PM

Hi Bob,

You bring out a good point.

I have a 3063 head on the tripod in the Moving Camera Techniques DVD. On many of the moves you don't need a head on your tripod, but for the most dramatic, and "boom simulating" shots I do angle the head down.

Dan mentioned that he uses a 503, but he could certainly use a 501 on the monopod. If I remember correctly the 501 is about $100 cheaper than a 503, but about $100 more than a simple quick release mechanism.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network