DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   hd1000 editing workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/136547-hd1000-editing-workflow.html)

Olas Polare October 24th, 2008 03:56 AM

hd1000 editing workflow

Hi
Anyone figured out a good editing workflow for the material from the hd1000?
First i started using vegas, the playback speed wasnt great but i could live with it. but then when the project started to get heavier (not that big really) vegas started to have lots of problems with my files and kept crashing a lot.

So i tried premiere. premiere cs3 was even slower when it came to playback, so i waited for cs4. cs4 had a lot better playback BUT it doesnt handle the 720p60 files well at all! it interprets the video as 30fps and the audio as 60(!?).

so i tried remuxing the .mp4 files into quicktimes. now premiere got the framerates good and all, but the playback was INSANELY SLOW. shit. so i made a script that generated low res quicktime proxies of all my shots (with the same file names but another folder), and then a script that swaps out the low res for the highres and vice versa.
so now when i edit i use the low quality quicktimes (with a project set up for 720p60) and then before exporting i just run my script and it swaps out all the source material to the full res stuff.

a bit complicated to set up but once its running its pretty fast to work with.

Matthias Thomann October 24th, 2008 11:17 AM

Hi,
in MPEG Streamclip I convert the video to Apple Intermediate Codec which can be nicely edited in Final Cut Pro. In Cinema Tools I can then change the framrate from 720/60p to 720/30p to get slowmotion.

Maybe I lose some quality by converting to Apple Intermediate Codec.

Olas Polare October 25th, 2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Thomann (Post 955143)
Hi,
in MPEG Streamclip I convert the video to Apple Intermediate Codec which can be nicely edited in Final Cut Pro. In Cinema Tools I can then change the framrate from 720/60p to 720/30p to get slowmotion.

Maybe I lose some quality by converting to Apple Intermediate Codec.

yeah youll lose a bit of quality.
also your intermediat clips will be like 5 times larger(?) than the sanyo clips, so if you like me has 65gb of material then it will take a LOT of space.

i thought fcp would be able to cut material from the hd1000 straight away?

Matthias Thomann October 27th, 2008 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=
i thought fcp would be able to cut material from the hd1000 straight away?[/QUOTE]

I am still on a G5 Mac, FCP can import the hd1000 clips directly but they don't play nicely in the viewer, there is too much stutter and they are long to render in the Timeline. Apple Intermediate codec plays smoothly in the viewer and renders quickly.