DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   form factor: traditional versus pistol grip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/469119-form-factor-traditional-versus-pistol-grip.html)

David Sholle December 8th, 2009 08:33 AM

form factor: traditional versus pistol grip

I have the FH1, which is a traditional form factor small camcorder. I am considering the HD2000A, which is the pistol grip form factor. Does anyone have experience with both? I'm wondering if it is possible to hold the pistol grip form factor more steady than the traditional form factor. The weak point of the Sanyos is mediocre image stabilization performance, so a form factor that can help might be useful. The HD2000A also has mic in, headphone out and a slightly faster lens than the FH1A.

By the way, as far as I can tell, the only difference between the FH1 and FH1A, and between the HD2000 and HD2000A is that the "A" models have the 960X540 iFrame format which can be imported directly to iMovie and edited directly, without any transcoding. Of course the other formats are also still there, starting from 1080 60p and going downward.

Paul Cascio December 8th, 2009 05:21 PM

I have both the FH1 and HD2000. The FH1, like all small cams is tough to hold steady, but it does feel comfortable in the hand.

I love my HD2K, even more than the FH1, and I want to love the pistol grip form factor, but it's not easy to get used to and is more prone to shake. This may seem wierd, but I also slightly worry about it being mistake for a hand gun and getting shot by a cop. Could just be my paranoia acting up, but it's shped like a gun, it's black, and you hold it like a gun - away from your body.

Having said that, I would still choose the HD2K over the FH1, because it has full manual control, a mic input and a slightly better lens. They both take amazing images. Amazing.

Paulo Teixeira December 12th, 2009 06:24 PM

I can see how this can be a very hard question. Personally I'd get the HD2000A because of the benefits and I'm very used to holding awkward cameras.

Here's a couple of videos that I shot at a beach. One in the summer of 08 and the other is 09. I used an Aitptek camera which not only does it lacks a stabilizer but I assume it's much harder holding than an HD2000A. walking around with the camera makes it much harder to keep the footage steady but I don't think the videos are that bad and I'm left handed by the way. Both videos are fully native directly from the camera.

I would say that it's probably best to find a retailer and check it out first but then again, just because you didn't get used to holding it then doesn't mean you'll still be nearly as bad about a month later.

That experience have helped me decide to get a GH1. I figured that since it didn't take long for me to get used to holding an Aiptek camera, that it may not take long for me to get used to holding something that's shaped like an SLR. I only had it for about a month when I shot this at the bottom.

I've said this before but if Sanyo makes a better stabilizer, Panasonic, Sony, Canon, and JVC will will be forced to rethink their pricing strategy. At least I'm glad Sanyo is not trying to be like Panasonic anymore with delaying their top models to the US market. I don't think the original HD2000 ever had a proper release in the US.

Kevin Walsh December 31st, 2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1457913)
I have both the FH1 and HD2000. The FH1, like all small cams is tough to hold steady, but it does feel comfortable in the hand.

I love my HD2K, even more than the FH1, and I want to love the pistol grip form factor, but it's not easy to get used to and is more prone to shake. This may seem wierd, but I also slightly worry about it being mistake for a hand gun and getting shot by a cop. Could just be my paranoia acting up, but it's shped like a gun, it's black, and you hold it like a gun - away from your body.

Having said that, I would still choose the HD2K over the FH1, because it has full manual control, a mic input and a slightly better lens. They both take amazing images. Amazing.

I agree, the HD2K has received a lot of bad press over it's poor stabilization, but it takes amazing video! It really isn't that hard to hold steady, especially if you use two hands. Of course then it looks even more like a gun.
The images are soft when the lens is wide open but for a $500 camera they are fine. Editing 1080 60p can be daunting as well.