DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nexto-di-mobile-storage-solutions/)
-   -   Nexto DI SxS transfers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nexto-di-mobile-storage-solutions/483058-nexto-di-sxs-transfers.html)

Olof Ekbergh August 8th, 2010 12:19 PM

Nexto DI SxS transfers

Does anyone have any experience of using this setup?

Specifically how well does it work to hook another USB drive to the Nexto to transfer files from the Nexto and/or the USB drive.

A friend of mine just got one and is having problems getting the Nexto to recognize the USB drive. I think he is trying to use a laptop for powering the USB drive. I wonder if this may be the problem.

Alister Chapman August 8th, 2010 03:13 PM

You must power the Nexto from an external power supply if trying to use it with a USB drive. In addition depending on the USB drive it too may require power. Nexto UK have a nice adapter that takes an EX battery and will power both the Nexto and USB drive.

There are a few USB drives that simply refuse to work with the NVS2500.

Expect the transfer speed to be around 3 times slower over USB compared to SxS to the internal drive.

I love my NextoDI NVS2500. It really made my life so much simpler!

Olof Ekbergh August 8th, 2010 04:58 PM

Alister, what drives specifically don't work with the Nexto?

And what drives do you know that does. Mac or PC. My friend is on a PC.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 9th, 2010 06:30 AM

Well I just bought one myself, I bought the NEXTO DI 2725 and When I used the USB harddisk powered separately Nexto was able to recognise it but I was unable to back up from NEXTO to the hard drive but I was able to copy from the Hard drive to nexto, What am I doing wrong I want to be able to copy from NEXTO to the Hard drive.

Alister Chapman August 9th, 2010 12:44 PM

I think it's only the NVS2500 that can write to an external drive.

There is a list of tested drives here:
Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface

Just because a drive isn't on the list doesn't mean it won't work, just that it hasn't been tested.

Thierry Humeau August 9th, 2010 03:31 PM

I am using G-Technology Mini 500GB 5400RPM USB drives with the Nexto and they work great. One thing however is that the USB cable supplied with the Minis can be finicky when plugged into Nexto's USB/eStata combo port. I have other shorter USB cables that work much more reliably. Just remember 3 things when using external USB drives with the Nexto for Synching:

- Only use short USB cables
- Make sure the Nexto is AC powered, this is required to power external drives
- Do not use the EX Clip Browser on Synched drives. Doing so can modify metadata in the BPAV media folders and force the Nexto to resynch previously syched folders on subsequent syncs

Enjoy!

Thierry

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 9th, 2010 05:51 PM

Are you saying that one can use sync to copy from nexto (2725) to external usb hard drive.

Thierry Humeau August 10th, 2010 10:50 AM

Yes. Plug a USB drive directly to the Nexto NVS2500, it will switch to Sync mode automatically, look at the content on the USB drive, compare it to the NVS2500 and copy the newer files.

T.

Olakunle Olanrewaju August 10th, 2010 12:27 PM

well I was thinking that should be possible with nexto 2725 though according alister it might not.

Alister Chapman August 10th, 2010 12:27 PM

No you cannot copy to another USB drive with the 2725. ONLY the NVS2500 can do this. If you have a PC you can copy from the 2725 to another drive, but not without a PC.

Andy Taplin October 27th, 2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1557304)
I am using G-Technology Mini 500GB 5400RPM USB drives with the Nexto and they work great. One thing however is that the USB cable supplied with the Minis can be finicky when plugged into Nexto's USB/eStata combo port. I have other shorter USB cables that work much more reliably. Just remember 3 things when using external USB drives with the Nexto for Synching:

- Only use short USB cables
- Make sure the Nexto is AC powered, this is required to power external drives
- Do not use the EX Clip Browser on Synched drives. Doing so can modify metadata in the BPAV media folders and force the Nexto to resynch previously syched folders on subsequent syncs

Enjoy!

Thierry

Thierry

I'm also having problems with the sSATA/USB combo port on the 2500 - seems very flakey and unreliable. Have you found a particular cable that works really well? An eSATA to mini usb might work but no one seems to make such a thing.

Woon Jung October 31st, 2010 11:36 PM

Nexto Series.

NVS2500, ND2700, ND2725 support 'Sync' function.
You can copy to another USB drive using this 'Sync' function.

so, ND2700 and ND2725 also make second back-up into an external USB hard drive include NVS2500.
(But Multi-Copy is only supported by NVS2500)

Nexto Device has own internal battery, so they can operate withtout AC adapter (if the battery is not empty)

it means that it doens't need any AC power to sync or Multy copy if the units are Nexto Deviec.

Please get more information from Nexto website.
NextoDI

Thank you
Woon

Olakunle Olanrewaju November 1st, 2010 05:16 AM

Thanks Woon I have been able to copy to external USB Drive using 'sync' function on my Nexto 2725.