DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon announces D5000 (720p24 with swivel out LCD) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/195715-nikon-announces-d5000-720p24-swivel-out-lcd.html)

Tim Dashwood April 14th, 2009 03:04 AM

Nikon announces D5000 (720p24 with swivel out LCD)

7 Attachment(s)
Nikon D5000 Mini-Site

In a nutshell: Consumer oriented model that is positioned somewhere between the D60 and D90

$729.95 (body only) $849.95 bundled with 18-55 VR lens

12.3 Megapixel CMOS

2.7" tilt/swivel LCD screen

720p24 D-Movie Mode

4fps continuous shooting

High-sensitivity limit of 6400ASA

Active D-Lighting

In-camera editing (including perspective control, soft-filter, fisheye, distortion, resize.)

HDMI port

11-point variant AF with auto 3D-tracking (same as D90)

GPS Geo-Tag Support

Tim Dashwood April 14th, 2009 03:37 AM

I wonder if they now allow for full manual control for exposure and electronic shutter speed in D-Movie mode?

Uwe Hansen April 14th, 2009 04:59 AM

Full manual control most probably weīll see at the D800. If weīre in luck already in the D400 in July. But this are all generated speculations... ;-)

Jack Kelly April 14th, 2009 05:00 AM

Hmm... I was hoping Nikon would announce a product which competed with the Panasonic GH1 today but the D5000 doesn't seem to compete with the GH1 for filmmakers. Some major down-sides to the D5000:

Only seems capable of shooting at 24fps (no other frame rates). I need 25fps for PAL delivery.

No mention of an audio input

Can only record for 5 minutes at 1280x720 (20 minutes at the other, non-video resolutions)

No mention of AF operating during D-movie mode (OK, I thought I could live without AF until Panasonic started talking about face recognition running in movie mode (i.e. it sounds like you can tell the camera to expose for and focus on "Jim" while Jim walks through a crowd).

Jack Kelly April 14th, 2009 05:08 AM

More info the the D5000's movie mode from the 10th page of DPreview's detailed preview:

Nikon D5000 Hands-on Preview: 10. Displays: Digital Photography Review

Uwe Hansen April 14th, 2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Kelly (Post 1091075)
... Some major down-sides to the D5000:

Only seems capable of shooting at 24fps (no other frame rates). I need 25fps for PAL delivery.

No mention of an audio input

Can only record for 5 minutes at 1280x720 (20 minutes at the other, non-video resolutions)

Itīs most likely the same video mode as in the D90. Maybe they "copy + paste" it. But donīt forget, itīs an entry-level cam and in comparison to the D60 an improvement. I didnīt expect much more for around 700,- bucks from Nikon. The sample clip from nikon usa looks somewhat sharper and cleaner - by any chance they lifted the data rate slightly.

Chad Dyle April 14th, 2009 04:23 PM

From what I've read so far, video is pretty much exactly the same as the D90, which in my opinion, isn't worth it. I was hoping this camera would be something more. It just seems like a D90 jr. to me. I don't mind waiting until this summer for another announcement, but that also means they are pushing it closer to the Scarlet release. The next few weeks (NAB) should be pretty interesting.

Uwe Hansen April 15th, 2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 1093139)
... video is pretty much exactly the same as the D90...

Doubtless if you watch this clip:
YouTube - Nikon D5000 launch in London

Uwe Hansen April 16th, 2009 11:27 PM

In fairness I should mention as well, that you can also get pretty good stuff with this video mode, if youīre able to handle it properly. Something of that sort:

HENKELL HOTEL (Nikon D90 D-movie) on Vimeo
the Jonesz : Sneakers N' Heels on Vimeo
Yochi Ben Photoshoot - Malibu, CA on Vimeo
LMNO & THE SIX FOOT TROLLS - I'M COMMITTED on Vimeo

Ethan Cooper April 17th, 2009 08:51 AM

It's the codec stupid!

Other than real manual controls the biggest problem with the D90 is the codec, or more specifically the bitrate. I love the the color handling and highlight rolloffs of the D90 but abhor the codec. The artifacting is atrocious and keeps this camera from being all it can be. I pray that someone in Nikon is aware of this and is working on a better solution for upcoming products.

I'll say it for the 100th time, Nikon is in a prime position to properly do the DSLR video thing since they have no existing video product lines to protect. Please please please get it right.

Michael Murie April 17th, 2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1104090)
I'll say it for the 100th time, Nikon is in a prime position to properly do the DSLR video thing since they have no existing video product lines to protect. Please please please get it right.

I'd been thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me - that could also mean they don't have anyone on staff whose primary job is to know about video.

Steve Mullen April 18th, 2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Murie (Post 1105677)
I'd been thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me - that could also mean they don't have anyone on staff whose primary job is to know about video.

When the did sell video camcorders they OEMed it. But, perhaps they have no intention of getting into the movie business. Their video mode is a very cheap and quick hack to LiveView. It's an extra tick-off feature.

Ethan Cooper April 18th, 2009 09:38 AM

It would be highly disappointing to me if Nikon doesn't fully pursue the video aspects of their DSLRs for the reasons I've already stated. I actually prefer the color and highlight handling on the D90 over the 5D but darn that crappy codec. They're not very far away from having a darn good video camera if they'd just take a few extra steps (manual control, full frame sensor, higher bitrate codec, 1080).

I'll keep hoping.