DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Nikon Blues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/473316-nikon-blues.html)

Francois Xavier February 21st, 2010 12:17 PM

Nikon Blues

I have tons of great Nikon glass and have been checking almost daily for the last 18 month, in the hope that Nikon would finally come out with a decent full HD capable DSLR. And today at Nab they announced nothing new. I really feel let done by Nikon. Canonist are much better off. If Nikon hasn't moved by the time the 550D is in the shelves, I'll go for this with a heavy heart.

Marcus Martell February 21st, 2010 04:06 PM

Everybody is waiting for the revenge...Just came out the lil p something that shoots full hd, so we'll cross the fingers!

Perrone Ford February 21st, 2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Xavier (Post 1488977)
I have tons of great Nikon glass and have been checking almost daily for the last 18 month, in the hope that Nikon would finally come out with a decent full HD capable DSLR. And today at Nab they announced nothing new. I really feel let done by Nikon. Canonist are much better off. If Nikon hasn't moved by the time the 550D is in the shelves, I'll go for this with a heavy heart.

So buy the canon body and an adapter for your glass. If Nikon releases something better, sell the body and buy the Nikon body. Consider the difference in price a lease cost.

Kin Lau February 24th, 2010 09:13 AM

It's just a body, and Nikon users have been using their glass on Canon bodies w/ adapters for _many_ years... it's was the only option to use older glass on a dslr w/o going to a pro-body.

Even now, the safest way to mount some pre-AI and converted lenses on a DSLR is to use an adapter on a Canon DSLR, due to the possibility of crushing the metering pin.

I would very much like to see someone come up with a HD capable mirror-less full-frame 35mm camera, then I can adapt just about everything I have to it. The Samsung NX is _really_ close.

Paulo Teixeira February 24th, 2010 12:05 PM

At least Nikon has a good video capable competitor in the point and shoot category.
The New P100 shoots 1920x1080 30 frames and 1280x720 30p.
COOLPIX P100 from Nikon

That should indicate that their next DSLR will have 1920x1080 resolution and it'll probably have both 24p and 30 frame versions as well as 720p versions.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 24th, 2010 12:46 PM

720P in the Nikons is enough quality for most work (I don't know many people actually making a living selling footage in higher rez) - D300s if require crop-factor or the D3s for full rez low-light work.

Also, Nikon will be releasing the new D900 soon (with full 1080), so I'd wait if I were you...and, if you can't wait that long, just buy a cheap Canon 550D or 7D to tie you over until the new Nikon is launched. As mentioned, you can still use the Nikkors with an adapter.

Graeme Hay February 25th, 2010 07:58 PM

I'm in a similar boat as the OP, Lots of Nikon glass yet no decent body to use for video. I'm hoping they will announce something soon as I would like to get into shooting video with the DSLR, but a Canon (as mentioned above) will be purchased if Nikon's doesn't have something in the pipes before the 550 hits the streets.

Gregory Barringer March 5th, 2010 05:32 PM

I have a Nikon D3s. I thought it would be the answer to HD video for me. The quality of the video is very good. Focus and DOF are outstanding as long as the camera is on a tripod and does not need re-focused. It's just too hard to focus manually using the LCD screen. I came from fully manual SLR with manual focus but that used a viewfinder.

I ended up buying a Sony camcorder HDR-CX520V, this thing is amazing. The low light ability isn't as good as ISO 12,800 on the D3s but it's close. At 1080 60i the video quality is better than the D3s. Auto focus is quick and auto exposure is very good. DSLR video has a ways to go, but no consumer video cam can match the DOF of the D3s and 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens

Michael Carter May 5th, 2010 08:18 AM

I was in the same boat after getting the D90. I'll second this: Get a 2ti for, what, $800?? Get a lens adapter for $40 (I got the metal one from Adorama). Shoots really really nice 1080p. Shoots 720p at 60, which conforms to 24 or 29.97 for perfect, gorgeous slowmo. I understand it shoots decent sills as well. Compared to the Nikon it feels like a plastic toy. Stick a big matte box and a finder on it if you're worried about clients.

Shot a commercial with one last week. Really pretty. Stuck all the footage in Streamclip, did some basic trims, and batched it all to ProRes. Zero editing hiccups in FCP. Sweet.

Did my edits in 720. Re-conformed a couple takes at 1080 and was able to adjust framing and position on the timeline with no zoom artifacts. Just killer.

Floris van Eck May 6th, 2010 11:36 PM

Looks like Nikon is developing a dedicated video camera:
Patent application for AF in a video/TV camera with interchangeable lenses | Nikon Rumors

Also, the D700 successor is expected to be announced in July, the D90 successor in September. I think those will give us a pretty good idea where Nikon is heading.

They certainly have a lot of catching up to do.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 8th, 2010 07:23 AM

Yes, Nikon know that having a decent DSLR autofocus system that works in both stills and video modes will be a big selling point for them.

Steven Davis August 11th, 2010 08:04 PM

So Nikon still (forgive the pun) doesn't have a competitor to Canon? I have the D80 and D300, but neither capture without more equipment.

Paul de Vries August 19th, 2010 03:32 AM

D3100

How about the new D3100? Announced today: Nikon D3100

Video specs: Frame size (pixels) and frame rate: 1,920x1,080; 24p - 1,280x720; 30p - 1,280x720; 25p - 1,280x720; 24p - 640x424; 24p. Maximum Recording Time:10 min. File format/Video compression: MOV, H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Cording. Audio recording device; Supported:monaural recording with built-in microphone.

But I hope it can do 1,920x1,080; 25p as well as I am in a PAL country (50Hz).

Steve Brady August 20th, 2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul de Vries (Post 1560550)
But I hope it can do 1,920x1,080; 25p as well as I am in a PAL country (50Hz).

Not really a big issue, surely? Most equipment that can display 1920 x 1080 will happily display 24p; if you're downconverting for DVD, say, then just reconform to 25p, the same as theatrical movie DVDs do.

Evan Donn August 21st, 2010 12:33 PM

Looks like the 3100 doesn't have full manual control in video mode, no audio input, low-bitrate AVCHD, and low res LCD with no HDMI out while recording. I'd say it's not a particularly good choice if video is your primary use.

Steve Phillipps August 21st, 2010 03:18 PM

Hello, Nikon, Wake Up!

Steve

Perrone Ford August 21st, 2010 03:25 PM

Nikon announced several months ago, that they would be delivering something suitable in 2011. Why not just wait and see what they come up with?

Steve Phillipps August 21st, 2010 03:28 PM

2011 - who knows what Canon will have by then!
I'm not interested in a DSLR, just amazed at how far behind Nikon are. They did this with image stabilised lenses, lagging 5 years or so behind Canon and losing users by the drove, now they're missing the boat with vDSLRs too. Interesting.
Steve

Perrone Ford August 21st, 2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1561272)
2011 - who knows what Canon will have by then!
I'm not interested in a DSLR, just amazed at how far behind Nikon are. They did this with image stabilised lenses, lagging 5 years or so behind Canon and losing users by the drove, now they're missing the boat with vDSLRs too. Interesting.
Steve

Canon, as a company, is over 15 times the size of Nikon. This is like like Sony versus Toshiba.

Canon given it's global scale and reach can dedicate an entire division to doing nothing but development of HDSLRs should they so choose. Nikon simply cannot do that. It's not just an issue of Nikon being late, it's an issue of Nikon having absolutely ZERO background in video, especially professional video.

I cannot even IMAGINE the ramp up at Nikon to try to compete in this market. They have no video division to call up and ask advice. They have no long term friends in Hollywood to lean on for advice. They have focused their entire being on making top quality optics for cameras, microscopes, binoculars, and other things. Canon makes copy machines for goodness sakes.

In stills, I moved from Canon to Nikon shortly after the EOS body style debuted. After my EOS10s wasn't all I had hoped. I'd been a Nikon fan, but couldn't afford the switch. I've been in the Nikon camp ever since. Nearly 15 years now.

But to be honest, this is all immaterial. Take a hint from our Hollywood brethren. Today they shoot the Panavision, tomorrow the RED, next week the Alexa, and the following month an ARRI film camera. Choose the right tool for the job. Just buy good glass, and then blow with the wind. Right now, the prevailing wind is with Canon. Could be Sony by Christmas, and then maybe Nikon next summer. Who knows.

Buy a camera and shoot. Problem solved.

Steve Phillipps August 21st, 2010 04:51 PM

Some good points Perrone, I think you're right about Canon v Nikon's size and place in the video industry.
But you say "Just buy good glass" and I think that's something that disappoints Nikon users that have bought this glass and think "great I can use it for stills and video too", but then find they need to use Canons instead if they want video (I know, you can use some Nikons on Canon).
As for "Buy a camera and shoot", not me, not anymore, things just change too quickly. I've bought and sold Sony PD355 and 700 and a Varicam 2700 in the last 18 months, I get provided with kit on almost all jobs now.
As for "Buy a camera and shoot. Problem solved" that's a huge over-simplification of the situation and of very little help.
Steve
ps I'm a Nikon shooter too, so I've no negative bias, I love my D3, 85 1.4, 400 2.8 and 200 f2, just not for video

Perrone Ford August 21st, 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1561286)
But you say "Just buy good glass" and I think that's something that disappoints Nikon users that have bought this glass and think "great I can use it for stills and video too", but then find they need to use Canons instead if they want video (I know, you can use some Nikons on Canon).

No, you can use practically every Nikon F-Mount lens in existence on any EOS film or digital. I'd say that's a pretty fair deal. I use my Nikon glass on both my Nikon (stills) and Canon (stills and video). No problems at all. I'll be adding some Pentax and Yashica screwmount to that quite soon.

Quote:

As for "Buy a camera and shoot", not me, not anymore, things just change too quickly. I've bought and sold Sony PD355 and 700 and a Varicam 2700 in the last 18 months, I get provided with kit on almost all jobs now.

That's cool. But you're talking about broadcast cameras. I'm talking about the folks playing in the $1500-$3k camera market. VERY different. So you do like I did. Buy a T2i for $800. Use it until something else great or better comes out that you want more. Sell it for $500, and move on. I just lost $300, but honestly, I couldn't have rented the body for a week for that price. And I would have shot dozens of projects by that point.

Quote:

As for "Buy a camera and shoot. Problem solved" that's a huge over-simplification of the situation and of very little help.
Steve

I don't really think it is at all. There are 4 truly viable solutions in the HDSLR market right now. GH1, 5D, 7D, T2i. Pick one and shoot. Why make this more complicated than need be? Same glass fits every one of those cameras. What's so hard about it?

Matt Gottshalk August 21st, 2010 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not only do I use ALL of my manual Nikon glass for shooting video on my 5d/7d, I also use it on any of my RED shoots.

I don't see what the problem is.

Steve Phillipps August 22nd, 2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1561288)
No, you can use practically every Nikon F-Mount lens in existence on any EOS film or digital.

Except the current G lenses which are the ones folks will probably be buying most of!

I misunderstood when you talked about just buy a camera and shoot, you meant "There are 4 truly viable solutions in the HDSLR market right now. GH1, 5D, 7D, T2i", so buy any of those cameras and shoot, well OK, that makes more sense, I thought you meant any including the Nikons, as that's what this thread was about.

Steve

Perrone Ford August 22nd, 2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1561362)
Except the current G lenses which are the ones folks will probably be buying most of!

Well, you can't save everyone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1561362)
I misunderstood when you talked about just buy a camera and shoot, you meant "There are 4 truly viable solutions in the HDSLR market right now. GH1, 5D, 7D, T2i", so buy any of those cameras and shoot, well OK, that makes more sense, I thought you meant any including the Nikons, as that's what this thread was about.

Steve

I was referring to my earlier comment in the thread:

"So buy the canon body and an adapter for your glass. If Nikon releases something better, sell the body and buy the Nikon body. Consider the difference in price a lease cost."