DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Anyone using Nikon 5100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/500404-anyone-using-nikon-5100-a.html)

Rob Morse September 6th, 2011 06:34 PM

Anyone using Nikon 5100?

Just curious if anyone is using the Nikon D5100? I tried the Panasonic GH2, which I loved the video, but the camera just felt so small in my hand. I had a couple of Nikon lenses so I thought I would go that way. Since the D7000 didn't have the rotating LCD, I purchased the 5100. If using the camera for video, I was curious, what lenses are you using? It seems to take nice video outside but I haven't tried it at an event. It takes beautiful photos by the way.

Laurence Kingston September 7th, 2011 09:39 AM

Re: Anyone using Nikon 5100?

I really like mine.

Rob Morse September 7th, 2011 11:29 AM

Laurence,

What lenses are you using? Are you using the video portion of it?

Laurence Kingston September 7th, 2011 01:05 PM

I have the stock 18 - 55mm, the cheap 55 - 200mm that is sold everywhere, and a prime 35mm that lets me open up the aperture for interviews and portraits. I'm a video guy that is just getting into still photography, so yeah, I am using it for video. It is a little more "auto" than the Canons, and while that may not be for everyone, it is comfortable for me.

The video seems to be very nice. The aliasing drives me a little mad now and then, but that would be the same with any DSLR, not just the Nikon.

I have a few video related accessories for it:

1/ A HaloRig makes handholding it during video way more steady.

2/ I have a Manfrotto 755XB tripod which is similar and size and look to a photography tripod, but has a leveling ball which is pretty much essential when you are shooting video.

3/ A Rode VideoMic Pro which is just a wonderful sounding camera mounted mic. Better than anything else I've seen and yet relatively small. Way better than that stereo mic that Nikon sells.

4/ A stereo pair of DC-Bias powered mics from microphonemadness.com. Nikons output the dc-bias voltage that these mics need. Canons do not. You can get quite good interview audio with just a set of these mics and nothing more.

5/ A couple of Z96 LED lights. The sensor on the D5100 is large enough that you can get by either with natural light, or with natural light augmented by a tiny LED light. The Z96s are dirt cheap, small and light, and can do either daylight or tungsten color temperature.

Mauricio Rodriguez Campos February 1st, 2012 11:25 PM

In this video I shot my D5100 with Tamron lens 10-24mm and the Nikon 55-300.
Lens Test - YouTube

Laurence Kingston February 4th, 2012 12:56 AM

Very nice. No sign on any moiré on any of the outdoor wide shots. Great looking footage!

Marcus Martell February 2nd, 2013 03:08 AM

Maurizio i can't Find The video!

Laurence where can i see your stuff?

Laurence Kingston February 25th, 2013 12:14 AM

These are Nikon D5100 projects: