DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/512824-d600-great-videocamera-should-i-go-d800.html)

Vic Owen October 21st, 2014 03:16 PM

Re: Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?

Another late addition.

I've recently started shooting some video with my D610. The dust/oil issue has not occurred, possibly due to improvments in the 610. The video quality is comparable to my Pany HMC150, although not as intuitive to use.

I need more practice with it, but it's nice to know I can carry just one camera for mixed use. Also need to get an external mic, to reduce the AF noise when activated.

Kyle Root October 27th, 2014 09:14 AM

I tried out the D750 at Best Buy the other day, and believe for video having that moveable screen is a pretty big deal if you're going to try and stay compact.

If I were looking to buy today for a Nikon DSLR as a video camera, it'd be the D750 just because of the screen.

Chris Harding October 29th, 2014 07:24 AM

Hi Kyle

I never even heard of the 750 but it seems to be better for video than the 810 !! The only thing that would worry me is how good the autofocus is? With a tiny screen focussing manually for video would surely be a hit and miss affair but if the AF with 51 focus points is as good as they claim then could you confidently use the flip out screen just for framing and let the camera worry about focussing at weddings.

I do like the idea of using one camera for both video and stills (we do both at weddings) I really don't like to handhold a DSLR body for video but shucks, 3 axis gimbals are becoming cheaper by the day so you can have almost perfect handheld footage with one of these now.

Chris

Kyle Root October 29th, 2014 08:29 AM

Yeah the D750 just came out a couple weeks back.

I imagine it would work well in one of those stabilizers. I did a wedding Friday where my second shooter had a "Ghost" stabilizer and we used a Canon 7D and Sony a7s on it and it worked great. It was the first time I'd ever seen one of those brushless gimbals in person and we got some great stuff using those 2 cameras. The a7s was my third shooters camera and it made the rig even lighter. lol We did a cool "through the window" handoff shot at the reception that would not have been possible any other way. I was super impressed. He got one of the inital ones for about $1,200... but I saw the newer Ghosts are around $2,500 depending.

As far as focusing, I've been using my V1 and 17-55 and 70-200 for weddings and focus is quick and super accurate. I've never had any problems focusing on my V1. I would expect the D750 focus to be fairly quick and accurate. Probably not as fast as the mirrorless camera, but fast enough for me.