Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old December 19th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?

Hallo is the Nikon D600 a great DSLR or should i go for D800?
I can't find many comments about D600 online...

many thanks
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?

I've been reading several different forums very closely (dpreview, kenrockwell, snapsort and others) and all conclude that the D600 offers about 95% of the performance for $1,000 less than the D800. What sold me are the following features:

1. 24MP sensor
2. 3.2" LCD screen
3. 1080/30p video
4. Good low light performance
5. Slow motion (60fps) and time-lapse to video functions
6. Headphone jack
7. Dual SDHC slots for backup or overflow
8. Compatibility with all my Nikon lenses
9. Wifi adapter lets you see what's on the LCD on an iPad - how cool is that?
10. It's on sale - $1,996 gets you the body, 24-85mm kit lens, and a bundle of other goodies if you order from Adorama, B&H and others.

Got mine yesterday - I'm still playing around with it but it's a really sturdy piece of kit and I look forward to shooting with it!
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Major Player

d600 is hands down the better value.

with one very odd exception:

no easy aperture control for video

very odd i know. when in video mode you can't just dial up or down the aperture, it's locked. there is some weird workaround if you google or youtube it, but it's not a run and gun friendly solution for quick iris changes.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Nikon D600, being camera aware

Personally I went with the Nikon D600 kit deal on B&H as well that includes 24-85mm lens, 32gb SD card, monopod and case. There are a few known drawbacks but there only drawbacks if they inhibit your ability. For me they don't but just being aware is nice.

1. 95% HDMI out 1080p - When recording to external recorder you will see a small black bar around the footage. Increase the size of the footage in editing to 105%. I plan on using internal recording only.

2. No aperture control while recording in Live-view (video mode). Personally I usual setup my shot before hitting the record button. Even if I was recording often I use a variable ND filter. Problem avoided.

3. Dust on the sensor. A common problem for the D600 when you receive it. Simply test the camera by aiming it at a white wall on a high aperture say f/16. Look at the image on your computer and see if you notice any black specs. Typical cleaning can resolve.

Reasons I bought the D600 over the Canon 6D. Simplicity is key since I'll be traveling with the D600.

1. Headphone jack, along with a separate audio recorder its nice to have good camera audio levels just in case.
2. On screen audio monitoring while recording.
3. Intervalometer recording and playback
4. Clean HDMI out for monitoring while recording
5. Dual card slots, great for long days or having a producer copy.
6. On-board flash. Not that I like to use it but sometimes its better than nothing.

Also just to add I have a Canon 5D MarkII setup with L glass as well. Until I'm totally comfortable with Nikon I'll have my Canon close by since its been at my side the last 3 years.

The 5D MarkIII with its soft video, lack on audio meters while recording, no intervalometer at $1000 more really turned me away. 6D has the similar drawbacks minus a headphone jack. Nikon is really listening right now.

My 2 cents.
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Major Player

To me it's odd that people are fixating on the "no aperture control while recording in live view." I don't use a DSLR for run-and-gun shooting. I'm using the camera in a controlled environment (interviews and film-style shooting) so I don't have much need to change aperture while I'm rolling. Simply set the aperture, flick on live view, and off you go.

Dig around online and read about the "dust on the sensor" issue. I found this link interesting and factual LensRentals.com - D600 Sensor Dust Issues

Basically, this looks to be an early production issue. Apparently, its a bit of lubricant that got flung onto the sensor by the movement of the mirror. There's a specific range of serial numbers that seem to be affected.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I am a Canon user of many years, however the D800 is the reason I am now going Nikon. The D600 is a good camera, all Nikon cameras released recently are! However the D600 is no match for the D800 in my opinion.

The D800e is just so damn sexy!
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Major Player

D600 or D800?

Here's an interesting side by side by Snapsort. The best camera is the one that fits your style of shooting. Personally there both excellent and either one will deliver a quality picture. The only major difference, budget.

Nikon D600 vs D800 - Our Analysis
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8
New Boot

The greatest things I see evaluating the Nikon D600 to the Nikon D800 are small size, the best possible quality (D800 has too much!), less sized sea of AF receptors, quicker shape rate, less weight, and a much reduced cost.
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Major Player

I own a D800 & D800E and my co worker has a D800 and D600. There is NO comparison. The D800 and D800E outshine the D600 in EVERY single category except price.
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Major Player

You sound like a happy customer, Cory. But does one need all of the features of a D800 for every job? Perhaps that's an important consideration.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Trustee

Guys i'm reading encouraging stuff.....

Which lenses would you suggest for interviews with D800 or D600. Any example of interview online to show me?

Which lenses do you use for documentary purposes?

many thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm in a holding pattern for a little while longer. I want to see what Nikon does in Q1 2013 regarding an update to the DX line.

Right now I've got the Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens which i simply love, and also a 35mm 1.8 which i love. When needed, I will rent the 70-200 VR2 until I can buy my own. I'm really hoping to see something from Nikon soon in regards to DX.

Otherwise, my choices depend on whether or not Sony comes out with an NX5U replacement. Or, I may get a Canon XF300 since they're a good deal now, or maybe I'll go with a Sony VG 30 or 900 with a nikon adapter. I just don't know....
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Guys i'm reading encouraging stuff.....

Which lenses would you suggest for interviews with D800 or D600. Any example of interview online to show me?

Which lenses do you use for documentary purposes?

many thx
For interviews I use a Nikon D800 with a Tamron SP 2.8 24-70mm and a Nikon D600 with a Tamron SP 2.8 70-200mm. The 24-70mm gives me a nice head and shoulder shot while the 70-200mm gives me a nice chin to forehead shot to cut away to.

The four lenses that seem to cover most everything I do.

Nikon 50mm 1.8G - Low Light
Tamron SP 24-70mm 2.8 with stabilization - Run and gun
Tamron Sp 70-200mm 2.8 - At a distance
Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 - Tight spaces

Why I chose Tamron SP lenses over Nikkor lens? Cost/performance: The SP lenses have overall pretty good reviews and there about half the cost of the Nikkor lenses. There pretty good build quality and come with a 6 year warranty.

my2cents.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Major Player

I've had my D600 for 3 weeks now, and I'm in Miami using it on a splashy opening video for a sales meeting. The images I'm capturing are rediculous - the way this camera sees the light is amazing. I'm using a DX 35mm 1.8G and the kit 24-85mm for most of my shots. I'm intentionally vignetting the 35mm to get a toy camera look (see attached).

I read many complaints about this camera because when filming "you can't change the aperture in Live View." That's true. But it's so easy to work around. I'm shooting in Manual mode. Set the aperture based on the DOF you want. Then flick on Live View, and adjust the shutter speed and ISO using the thumbwheels. If you can't find a combo that works for you, switch off Live View, change aperture and start again.

Anyway - loving this camera and thought it was worth sharing!
Attached Thumbnails
Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?-eden-roc-beach.jpg   Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?-eden-roc-beach-2.jpg  

Is the D600 a great videocamera or should i go for D800?-eden-roc-beach-3.jpg  

Last edited by Sam Renkin; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Trustee

Sam where is the video?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video