DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   D750 not mounting on Mac desktop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/530718-d750-not-mounting-mac-desktop.html)

Dave Morrison December 23rd, 2015 10:46 PM

D750 not mounting on Mac desktop

Just got my D750 (finally) and am having problems getting it to show up on my Mac desktop when I attach it via the USB cable. If I pull the SD card and put it in my card reader, it mounts just fine. However, the Finder can't show me a thumbnail of my .nef files. The .jpg's and .mov's show up fine. My D200 never had this issue with stills so I'm wondering what happened with this newer Nikon.

I'm on Mac OS 10.8.5 with all updates applied.

Ryan Douthit December 23rd, 2015 11:31 PM

Re: D750 not mounting on Mac desktop

Use photo transfer. It doesn't mount as a drive.

Sounds like you need to update your OS to read the newer raw files.

Dave Morrison December 24th, 2015 03:10 PM

I tried it with my Macbook Pro laptop (OS 10.9) and it also would not show the card on the desktop. Weird.

Ryan Douthit December 25th, 2015 12:30 AM

It won't show up on the desktop. It requires the image transfer utility that comes with the Mac. Only that gives you access to the contents without it showing up as a drive.

Dave Morrison December 25th, 2015 06:58 AM

Got it. But why does my D200 mount almost instantly? It doesn't need Image Transfer to mount on my desktop. Weird, huh?
BTW, Merry Christmas!

Ryan Douthit December 28th, 2015 11:12 PM

Can't say. They must have changed it for some reason. Have a happy new year!

Dave Morrison December 29th, 2015 03:39 PM

No worries, Ryan. Thanks for at least trying. I'm still researching this. Anybody else seeing this issue?

Dave Morrison January 5th, 2016 10:15 PM

Got on the phone with Nikon Tech Support and couldn't resolve it. But they had me do a higher level Support request. They wanted a System Report generated by my Mac with the camera attached and powered up. They said they'd get me an answer so I'll keep you posted. Also, that damned USB connector is shaped like a MicroUSB plug but apparently it's some weird variant of the MicroUSB that is only used by cameras.

Dave Morrison April 27th, 2016 06:05 PM

Forgot to update this thread. Nikon Tech Support got back to me via phone call and told me that one of the two USB modes that were present in my D200 were removed from the D750 and that's why it isn't showing up as a mounted drive/card on my Mac desktops (regardless of OS version). I don't have the camera in front of me presently, but the D200 had two selectable modes for USB: PTP and Mass Storage. One of those is now gone. I'll survive but it sure was annoying to lose this. Those little SD cards were never engineered for a lot of insertion/removal cycles.

Vince Pachiano April 27th, 2016 06:07 PM

I think, but I am not sure, that there is a menu item on the Nikon that says to either act as a mountable drive -or- act as a camera that can be tethered.

Tim Lewis April 28th, 2016 05:14 PM

PTP: Peer To Peer - communicating with another device
Mass Storage: A drive that can be mounted.

I always remove the card rather than connecting a wire to the camera. I never seem to be able to find the wire when I need it, the card reader is harder to lose!

I am using 2 x D2x's, they are from 2005 and still have the option in settings for each type of connection.