DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Nikon Photo for HD Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/)
-   -   New Nikon Mirrorless Full Frame Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/nikon-photo-hd-video/536129-new-nikon-mirrorless-full-frame-camera.html)

Kyle Root August 13th, 2018 01:41 PM

New Nikon Mirrorless Full Frame Camera

Anyone else looking forward to seeing what Nikon puts out on Aug 23 2018?

I know I am and hope they are seriously upping the video capabilities!

Bill Ackerman August 13th, 2018 06:35 PM

Re: New Nikon Mirrorless Full Frame Camera

Like many candidates for this camera, I've got a boatload of great Nikon glass. I've budgeted for the new camera, a few Z-mount lenses, and the F-mount adapter, but I will NOT buy until I see the actual specs, especially video. Nikon has an excellent track record for leap-frogging the competition in the stills realm - not so much in video.

Cary Knoop August 13th, 2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1945937)
Anyone else looking forward to seeing what Nikon puts out on Aug 23 2018?

They have done virtually nothing for video in the past, so no.

David Peterson August 14th, 2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ackerman (Post 1945952)
Nikon has an excellent track record for leap-frogging the competition in the stills realm - not so much in video.

They leaped frogged *everybody* with the Nikon D90!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945954)

How is starting the entire HDSLR Revolution that we enjoy now "nothing"??

Cary Knoop August 14th, 2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Peterson (Post 1945989)
How is starting the entire HDSLR Revolution that we enjoy now "nothing"??

Panasonic and Sony are most considerate in adding quality video features to their small cameras.
Canon not so much and Nikon being the gatekeeper.

So yes, in my mind that is nothing.

But eh, go ahead, I won't mind if you keep using that 10 year old D90 camera for video in their honor! ;)

Jack Zhang August 21st, 2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945954)

They don't even reveal the internal bitrates for recording which are actually important to know for colorists.

In the very least, they should offer a 4K HDMI out, even if it's 8bit like the Sony A7 series.

David Peterson August 21st, 2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1945993)
Panasonic and Sony are most considerate in adding quality video features to their small cameras.
Canon not so much and Nikon being the gatekeeper.

So yes, in my mind that is nothing.

But eh, go ahead, I won't mind if you keep using that 10 year old D90 camera for video in their honor! ;)

For sure, Panasonic and Sony are those who we can thank the most for keeping on pushing forward video tech in stills cameras in recent years. (but also a little credit could go to Samsung, and now Fujifilm. And even the impacts of BMD's cameras)

But it was Nikon that was the initial first cause to kick this off, would Canon even have responded with their 5Dmk2 video features if not for the D90? (I'm skeptical, just look at the sad case of the Canon 50D)

And yes, by modern standards the D90 is now appalling, but not much ages well with time in the consumer electronics market. The D90 just gets occasionally used for stills now by me.

Jack Zhang August 23rd, 2018 02:47 AM

Specs are now official...

10BIT HDMI OUT!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Bill Ackerman August 26th, 2018 09:26 PM

Any speculation about which camera, Z6 or Z7, might be better for video? I don't know enough about sensors and encoding to have any idea. For the kind of shooting I do, image quality is more important than dynamic range.

Patrick Baldwin August 27th, 2018 08:03 AM

Well the Z6 samples from the full frame rather than pixel binning unlike the Z7 so that should provide a better video image in theory. I am buying the Z6 partly for that reason.

David Peterson September 2nd, 2018 11:42 PM

Yup, the Z6 would be the better camera for video, cheaper too!

Kyle Root September 5th, 2018 08:00 AM

yep Z6 is for video. this looks like an amazing camera and I'm hoping to get one in a couple months - for wedding work.

David Peterson September 18th, 2018 12:08 AM

We haven't seen too many videos shot with the Nikon Z6 (most that have been shared online have been shot with their Nikon Z7, which is going to be released first. However the Z6 will probably be the better camera for filming with than the Z7? Although either would be great!), but here is one I spotted shot with the Nikok Z6:

David Peterson September 19th, 2018 08:25 PM

Video autofocus with *adapted* (not native!) Nikon lenses and their first generation FX mirrorless..... this is straight up magic.

The more I see of the Z7... the more I get excited for the Z6! (which will ship after the Z7, and is cheaper! But meant to be even better for video)