DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Should I buy a SONY Vaio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/11020-should-i-buy-sony-vaio.html)

John Garcia June 19th, 2003 11:59 AM

Should I buy a SONY Vaio?

I'm looking at a new Sony Vaio for sale at a local computer shop. Specs as follows:

Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ with Hyper-Threading Technology
1GB DDR SDRAM
64 mb nVIDIA G-force 4 video card
250 GB HD
DVD-R - CD-RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
I-link IEEE 1396 compatible
Built in memory stick reader
6 usb ports
10/100 NIC Card
Windows XP Home edition
Sony digital studio software bundle
Speakers, keyboard, mouse

COMES WITH 18' Flat panel TFT screen

$2500

Is that a good deal!? How do Sony Vaio's stand up with video editing? is it easily upgradable? Is it compatible with NLE software out there?

Another question i have is, I know that it has a secondary port connection for a special kind of monitor. I think its something like a digital I/O connector. Not all monitors have this connector. Would I be able to hook up another monitor to this connector and achieve "dual display" capabilities? I really like the idea of being able to utilize the desktop space amongst 2 monitors. Very handy while editing video.

Any input, opinions, suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

John Garcia June 19th, 2003 12:18 PM

Found this online. Is it worth it!?

VAIO® Computer Specifications

PCV-RX991

Hardware Specifications

The following table details the hardware specifications of your computer.

Model PCV-RX991
Processor 3.06 GHz1 Intel® Pentium® 4 with Hyper-Threading Technology
Hard Disk Drive 250 GB2, ATA-100
C = 15 GB / D = 235 GB
Standard Memory (RAM) 1 GB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM maximum
Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce4 MX 440
Video Memory (VRAM) 64 MB (128-bit)
Sound Capabilities Yamaha YMF-753
Floppy Disk Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB
DVD-RW Drive 4.8X max. DVD-RW/DVD-R reading3
12X max. DVD-ROM reading
32X max. CD-R/CD-ROM reading
20X max. CD-RW reading
8X max. CD-R writing
4X max. CD-RW writing
2X max. DVD-R writing
1X max. DVD-RW writing
DVD-ROM Drive 4.8X max DVD-RW/DVD-R reading4
16X max. DVD-ROM reading
20X max. CD-RW reading
40X max. CD-R/CD-ROM reading
Modem V.90 data/fax modem5 (REN 0.8B)
Expansion Capabilities Hard disk drive bay
PCI slots (2)
Connection Capabilities – Front Memory Stick® media slot
i.LINK (4-pin) port
USB 2.0 ports (2)
Connection Capabilities - Rear USB 2.0 ports (4)
PS/2® keyboard port
PS/2 mouse port
VGA and DVI monitor ports
Parallel (printer) port
S/P DIF Optical out port
Headphones jack
Line In jack
Microphone jack
i.LINK (6-pin) port
Modem line jack
Telephone jack
DC Out jack
10BASE-T/100BASE-TX Ethernet-LAN port (RJ-45)
Supplied Accessories VAIO® Smart keyboard
PS/2 Wheel mouse
Stereo speakers with power cable (PCVA-SP3A)
Power cord
Modem cable
Service One year limited express repair service upon registration. 90 days without registration. See Limited Warranty Card.6
Limited Warranty One year parts/labor upon registration. 90 days from date of purchase without registration. See Limited Warranty Card.6
Telephone Support One year hardware support upon registration. 90 days software support upon registration. See Limited Warranty Card.6
Power Requirement 268 watts maximum
Voltage 100-120 V ~3.9A
Dimensions 8.0" (w) x 14.2" (h) x 14.6" (d)
(203 mm x 360 mm x 371 mm)
Weight 28.7 lbs. (13 kg)
Operating Temperature 50°F to 95°F (+10°C to 35°C)

Bill Pryor June 21st, 2003 08:52 PM

We have a VAIO laptop, and it's been as solid as the Macs; no trouble at all. We use Win 2000Pro. We had some trouble with a PC that had another version of Windows (I don't remember what), but when we got 2000Pro, it worked fine. The VAIO laptop has a really nice bright screen too, and there was no problem at all networking it with all the Macs in the office. In my experience the VAIO laptop has been very good.

John Garcia June 22nd, 2003 12:47 AM

I bought the computer

Thanks for all the opinions. I just went ahead and bought the package. I couldnt resist it, and all in all, im pleased with my purchase. The screen was a big plus, and I wouldnt have bought the computer if it didnt come with it. Its an 18" SDM S81R Monitor. Well, its only been 1 day, and no problems so far. Lets hope it stays that way. Thanks again for the help...

Ron Little June 22nd, 2003 11:23 AM

Vaio Village check this out

http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony

Dennis Adams June 23rd, 2003 08:43 PM

At home I have a Sony VAIO tower with LCD screen, and previously had a Sony VAIO "LCD Slimtop" and have enjoyed both. You pay a little more, but they seem to be pretty solid. Something tells me I'll be seeing more in my future.
///d@
Sonic Foundry, Inc.

Ron Little June 24th, 2003 09:02 AM

I special ordered a Sony digital work station they call it the editors special at Sony style.

It is a p4 2.20GHZ with 1.00 GB of ram it has two 120 gig hard drives a DVD rom and a DVD - r -rw

It comes with a ton of software and a feature called the giga pocket it has connection on the front for s video, RCA, Firewire, and USB those same connections are on the back.

It is a very stable system that has been compared to macs. Videomaker magazine features a similar system on their cover this month.

The one that they bench tested doses not have all the features the top of the line system has. I will be buying another computer this year for my wife to learn to edit on.

I am trying to hold off to see what Sony is going to do with their new editing software sound forge and Vagus video.

Up grading Sony is another story they don’t seem to want you to but it is done all the time. I am talking to a computer builder here that is going to build me a about 500 GB raid.