DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/111370-video-monitor.html)

Roger Rosales January 1st, 2008 04:25 PM

Video Monitor

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I have a few questions I'd like to ask before I buy.

For starters, I've been using two old 19" CRT's and the color on them is still good, but when I playback my projects, the colors are totally off from what they really look like. It's a strange problem, because everything else is fine.

Well, I was looking into buying flat panel and one of my questions is 4:3 or 16:9? Will editing on a 16:9 monitor make my projects seem off, hence making me do adjustments that in fact are not needed? Or is it all the same as if editing on a 4:3 monitor?

Second, how would I go about calibrating a PC monitor for proper colors? I'd like to try to do it on my current setup, but don't know how.

Last, but not least, I'd like to look into dedicated video monitors. What video output card do some of you use to display your videos on a video monitor? I'm not sure what other hardware is needed for this setup so if anyone can fill in the blanks, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Glenn Chan January 1st, 2008 05:37 PM

For SD video work, a CRT broadcast monitor would be the best idea (though getting harder to purchase). They are around $600 upwards. They don't do any wacky image enhancements and are designed to be accurate.

They should be able to switch between 4:3 and 16:9... check that the monitor has that feature. The CRT will scan the beam differently to letterbox.

2- You can use your DV camera to pass-through the video to your broadcast monitor. I believe pretty much all NLEs let you do this.

Daniel Browning January 1st, 2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Rosales (Post 800941)
I've been using two old 19" CRT's and the color on them is still good, but when I playback my projects, the colors are totally off from what they really look like.

The phrases "the color on them is still good" and "the colors are totally off" are contradictory. Accurate is good and inaccurate is bad.

In any case, there are a variety of inexpensive color profiling devices that may be able to help you get more accurate color, such as the Pantone Huey. However, you may need a level of accuracy that is beyond the capability of your display hardware.

As far as buying new is concerned, it's difficult to find highly accurate displays that are also inexpensive. Color accuracy is not widely marketed. There are some expensive brands that are a safe bet; my favorite is the NEC MultiSync 90 Series. Other display manufacturers have long bought the NEC panels and rebranded them: Eizo, LaCie, etc.

The 90 series panels have a host of advanced features:
  • 12 BIT LUT (big difference with OS support)
  • Internal Calibration
  • Improved S-IPS
  • 4 year warranty (including the backlight!)

Roger Rosales January 2nd, 2008 08:49 PM

Daniel,

yeah, I know it's contradictory, but it's true! Everything BUT videos on BOTH my monitors look good. It's strange....

Anyway, the Huey looks great and inexpensive. It might do the trick so my current setup can last me a bit longer, if not, it's still a good investment!

The NEC monitors look great too. They seem to be a much better buy than the ViewSonics or Samsungs.

Thanks for the help Glenn and Daniel, I appreciate it.