DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Requirements for transferring from Camcorder to PC via firewire, and other questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/13327-requirements-transferring-camcorder-pc-via-firewire-other-questions.html)

Dan Lahav August 15th, 2003 09:09 PM

Requirements for transferring from Camcorder to PC via firewire

Is a a firewire card the only thing i need to transfer full quality uncompressed video from my dvx100 to my PC? I have premier but unfortunately no separate deck to play DV's, so i'll have to transfer directly to my PC from the camera for now... From my understanding i just need a firewire card (compatible with my OS of course) and a firewire cable from camera to PC and capture using premiere. Right?

Also, other unrelated questions-- Is it possible to change the aspect ratio to true 16:9 through an editing program like premiere, avid or vegas? why or why not? Is it possible to imitate popular filters like polarizers in editing programs? Thanks!

Aaron Koolen August 15th, 2003 10:12 PM

Dan, a firewire card and cable is all you would need to transfer the footage, using your camera as a playback deck. Remember though, it is still compressed. DV is a compressed format, you can't do anything about that.

Cheers
Aaron

Dan Lahav August 16th, 2003 04:15 PM

thanks for the response. I'm still trying to figure out how DV works... can anyone give me answers for the remaining questions? Thanks!

Mike Rehmus August 16th, 2003 08:05 PM

Right about capturing from the camera.

You cannot simulate a polarizer very well as you cannot filter video to look through glare on a windshield.

You can emulate the polarizer's effect on color (like the sky) although it is difficult to limit the effect to just the sky rather than all the image as does the polarizer does very well.

Dan Lahav August 17th, 2003 02:25 PM

how about other filters?

Mike Rehmus August 17th, 2003 06:11 PM

Soft focus, pro-mist and the others can be simulated with filters. ON-camera filters are obviously quicker if you don't have RT editing but then you are stuck with original footage that has been filtered.

Soft focus, etc., are all easy to do in post.

Dan Lahav August 18th, 2003 08:24 PM

awsome! This website rocks!

Glenn Chan August 18th, 2003 08:38 PM

Premiere is cheaper if you buy it with a certain capture card.

Glenn Chan August 18th, 2003 08:47 PM

---
Also, other unrelated questions-- Is it possible to change the aspect ratio to true 16:9 through an editing program like premiere, avid or vegas? why or why not? Is it possible to imitate popular filters like polarizers in editing programs? Thanks!
---

I'm pretty sure premiere, vegas, and avid will allow you to convert 4:3 movies to 16:9 (vegas does for sure). The resizing algorithms are probably not that good. Photoshop with Genuine Fractals might give you better results. There are some other ways to do it. The term for it is ARC (aspect ratio correction).

Robert Knecht Schmidt August 18th, 2003 09:16 PM

New questions unrelated to the original query should be granted their own threads, just to help keep things organized. Thanks.