DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Including Time Code in frame (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/17020-including-time-code-frame.html)

Rob Wilson November 13th, 2003 11:01 AM

Including Time Code in frame

I'm doing some work for attorneys. They have taped (VHS) interviews that need to have sections removed. Currently, they play the tapes on their office vcr's, log time codes from the vcr and then give me the tapes to edit. Problem being that the time code on vhs vcr's is not accurate enough for good editing. I'd like to inport the video into premiere, then add real time code into the video (overlay it on the existing video), export it back to vhs and let them log with REAL time code. Anyone know how to do that???

THANKS in advance for any info.

BTW, I'm working with them to replace the VHS with miniDV but budget constraints won't allow it now.

I'm editing using Premiere Pro and also have AE if that would help.
I use a DSR45 Deck for in and out of the computer and a JVC combo to dub dv to vhs.

Jeff Donald November 13th, 2003 11:33 AM

Are you using Mac or PC?

Rick Bravo November 13th, 2003 11:29 PM

Timecode...or not?

Rob,

What kind of work are you doing for attorneys? (Depos, reenactments, interviews, etc.)

Is it really timecode, (burned in a window from the original source), control track or just resetting the counter to zero before playing back?

If they are zeroing their machines and taking notes then your are probably up the proverbial creek as the numbers hardly ever match from machine to machine, especially if the counter is mechanical, (although there are not that many around anymore), you may have better luck if the counter is electronic and counts off in minutes and seconds.

Also, if you add timecode after the fact, it is useless, (the timecode, not the content), for evidentiary purposes as opposed to timecode recorded on the original clip. If you need the timecode strictly for editing purposes, then it becomes a non-issue.

However, be prepared to be subpoenaed by the opposing attorney with regard to authenticating the tape being presented. One of the many questions that may be asked are, "what exactly did you exclude from your video, at who's direction, and what do you or your client have to hide by deleting the sections that you did?"

In Florida, we have rules of discovery where "everything" you have in evidence, whether used or not, must be disclosed to the opposing side.

No fun when you get summoned and have to testify in open court.

RB

Rob Wilson November 13th, 2003 11:48 PM

Rick,

Currently editing a tape made by the local PD of a interview. Done in the PD interview room (lots of echo) with consent of interviewee (now defendant). DA wants parts of it redacted. He used a zeroed out vhs like you mentioned. Not accurate enough to edit with for SURE. I've dubed to DV so have "real" time code associated with it now. Want to superimpose (onto the screen) that onto a VHS dub to give back to DA so he can identify accurate in/outs. I'll then edit accurately on my DV and dub it back to vhs. AND.. hopefully not end up in court myself but thanks for the warning.

Matthew de Jongh November 14th, 2003 01:12 AM

two things, i too have wondered how to put a timecode in the frame, not so much for legal reasons but just for the effect of showing a running time as part of the program, you see it a lot on tv where they do it in pseudo letterbox with the timecode running on the bottom in the black.

second, there are some great mini-dv cameras out there for $450-$500

matthew

Rick Bravo November 14th, 2003 07:55 AM

Rob and Matthew,

Depending on the camera you are using you should be able to call up the display screen using the camera's remote.

If that fails you can use a timecode reader. Take a look at this site from Horita.

http://www.horita.com/smptetimecode.htm#SMPTE%20LTC%20Time%20Code

Hope this helps,

RB

Jeff Donald November 14th, 2003 08:20 AM

Most NLE's have this feature also, which is why I asked what platform.

Matthew de Jongh November 14th, 2003 09:13 AM

sorry, i forgot to add that i'm using premiere pro...

matthew

Rob Wilson November 14th, 2003 10:21 AM

Jeff,

Sorry bout that, I went back and edited my original post to add that I'm using Premiere Pro. Thought editing would save space.

Matthew de Jongh November 18th, 2003 10:28 PM

so nobody knows how to do the visible timecode in premiere pro?

matthew