DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   what's your set-up? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/17148-whats-your-set-up.html)

Ong Wan Shu December 15th, 2003 06:01 AM

hi Kevin,

Thanks for your clarifications.

I am gonna probably get a fast 80G hard disk and a firewire card.

Just wondering do you have any experience in using Premiere Pro?

My fren could lend me his Premiere Pro but it was recommended that I use the Win XP Pro to run with this version. Reasons given by pple who suggested this was

1) Premiere Pro was a revolution to all the previous versions. In fact, it was built to recapture the market share lost to Vegas and Avid.
2) XP PRO has best codec among all other WIN OS
3) XP PRO is more stable

Any comments on these?

Steve Iacono December 16th, 2003 12:27 AM

Premiere pro does not work on anything before 2000 i believe

i think im guarenteed you have to use xp tho because it wouldnt let me install it

but im not even naming my computer setup. It is truly trash and i need anew computer

Ed Smith December 16th, 2003 04:22 AM

ong,

Premiere Pro will only work with XP I believe Home edition as well as Pro. XP pro gives you more administrative functions.

I believe that you also need a certain type of processor for it to work correctly. Intel P4 with something or other.

Search Adobes website for spec.

Cheers,

Ed

Neil Fisher December 16th, 2003 02:37 PM

Just got a very nice new Toshiba P20 notebook, after editing on a Sony PIII @ 750 mHz, everything is much faster.

17" widescreen
P4 @ 3.2gHz w/ HT
1gb DDR2100 RAM 2 x 512mb
DVD-R/-RW 4x/2x ( internal )
Maxtor 80gb 5400 ( internal )
Maxtor 80gb 7200 (external 1394 )
Maxtor 160gb 7200 (external USB 2.0)
Maxtor 160gb 7200 (external USB 2.0)
Yamaha CD-R/-RW (external 1394 )
Windows XP Professional OS
Sony DSR-20 DVCam VCR
Sony DSR-PD150 DVCam
Sony VX2000 MiniDV

Anthony Meluso December 17th, 2003 01:10 AM

I just got my hardware in yesterday and I'm about to configure it. This is what I'm planning to do

72gb Western Digital SATA @ 10000rpm
Two Partitions: 10gb for System files
62gb for Video Editting programs and Apps

Two 36gb Western Digital SATA @ 10000rpm setup as Raid0
Four Partitions: 20gb for Capture
20gb for Rendered Files
28gb for Data
4gb for Pagefile.

Do you thinks this setup will work best for NLE and will be ok for the page file to exist on a Raid0?

Andrew Petrie December 20th, 2003 10:13 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Meluso : I just got my hardware in yesterday and I'm about to configure it. This is what I'm planning to do

72gb Western Digital SATA @ 10000rpm
Two Partitions: 10gb for System files
62gb for Video Editting programs and Apps

Two 36gb Western Digital SATA @ 10000rpm setup as Raid0
Four Partitions: 20gb for Capture
20gb for Rendered Files
28gb for Data
4gb for Pagefile.

Do you thinks this setup will work best for NLE and will be ok for the page file to exist on a Raid0? -->>>

I think, for the money, you'd be much better off with two WD 120GB 8meg cache drives in your Raid array. These drives are cheaper and more than enough for your editing needs. The faster rpm won't do much for you, since rendering time really depends on your processing power and memory.

The money you save buying 2 ATA drives instead of SATA could pay for an extra stick of memory. Or a better case, power supply, etc...

I'd personally get a SATA for system files and apps though, can't go wrong there.