DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   what software ?, please help !! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/20917-what-software-please-help.html)

Dien Ngo February 5th, 2004 08:35 PM

what software ?, please help !!

Hi all!

I'm new to digital PC video, and I'm looking for a software that let me watch the footage direct from my camcorder to the PC via firewire. I just want to watch it, directly from the camcorder, in the real time, no capture, no edit, and no burn to DVD needed (I can use the S-Video ou tfrom the cam to the s-video in of the TV, but it's gonna decrease the tresolution)

Thank you so much for your help !!
DN.

Rob Lohman February 6th, 2004 06:51 AM

First: I had to completely edit your post to transform the CAPS
into lowercase. Please do not do that again, it is considered
shouting on the internet and usually impolite. Thank you.

Second, any NLE (edit program) like Adobe Premiere / Sony Vegas
/ Avid etc. etc. will do what you ask. Just start the capture part
of the application and you will see the live feed. It will not start
capturing until you tell it to. So that's the easiest way.

Then there are standalone capture applications like Scenalyzer
which can do the same [you don't have to capture if you don't
want to].

Dien Ngo February 6th, 2004 12:53 PM

thanks for your help ,Lohman ! i appreciate it !
i tried the Scenalyzer, and it worked, however, the picture playback was not smooth( at full screen) , any other grogram can do it better ? or my PC is not fast enought ?( p4 2.53 giz, 512 mb rambus 1080,120 giz harddrive raid 0)
once again , thank you .And i totally no mean to impolite to anyone , so,i'm so sorry if it cause any misunderstood !!( you can see my English is below average -maybe it's just the language problem, isn't it ? beside, i did read again and again my question , and, yes, it has many grammar, vocab error but ,i still could not find anything that make me think i'm some kind of rude , and ,of course i will thank you more if you can show me some !!! )
dn

John Britt February 6th, 2004 02:35 PM

Re: what software ?, please help !!

<<<-- Originally posted by Dien Ngo :

(I can use the S-Video ou tfrom the cam to the s-video in of the TV, but it's gonna decrease the tresolution)

DN. -->>>

I'm a little confused on this point. Unless you are shooting progressive (with a camera such as the DVX100) or Hi-Def, the footage should actually look better on a TV. Watching standard (60i) video on a computer screen would have interlacing artifacts that would actually make the footage look worse. Which may be the "not smooth" playback you're getting from Scenalyzer -- in which case you're going to have this problem regardless of the program used.

Maybe it would help if you explained a little more why you want to watch it on a computer monitor and not on a TV.

Dien Ngo February 6th, 2004 10:20 PM

Hello John Britt
Basiclly,i connect my pc to the hi-def rptv via 15 pin vga port ( with Ati vga to component adapter) , along with PowerStrip ( custom timing and resolution ) and Dscaler ( deinterlacer). By this way i can get a very good video playback , specially dvd movie - far more better than many exspensive standalone dvd player that i have tried. so , the tv is the pc monitor that i meant.
I dream of the Pana you mentioned, the Sony trv-19 is what i have , it's not so good for now ,but i just make video for fun, some for friends , even though i don't satify with its result, but making an upgrade is not easy either ( i'm in the situation like,miss it when get rid of it, but "suck" it when i keep it ! ) . Maybe i should wait some more until the Jvc handheld Hi-Def cam price goes down to consider getting it .
it's my pleasure to talk with you , hope to hear from you again

dn.
ps : i playback in PS custom resolution 856x480 progressive @60hz on 57 inches sony rptv

John Britt February 8th, 2004 01:05 AM

Dien

Whew -- that is all over my head! I don't know much about rear-projection TVs, but it sounds like you have a pretty impressive set-up.

How do normal (not Hi-Def) TV stations look on that rptv?

Dien Ngo February 8th, 2004 11:36 AM

i'm using Directv sattelite disk , so i'm not running chennels thru the pc , i tried before though, but the image was very disappoited due to the capture card scaler ( it's a $100 Pinnacle one , and i don't think the best one can make it much better) . my Pana Set top box can convert all kind of signals into hi-def ( 720p & 1080i ), and the non-hi-def source,as far as i can see is very good , it's better than regular cable and Directv with non-hi-def set top box. unluckily, my tv can not display 720p native , so i can only use either 480p or 1080i , it's not too bad ! but we all want more, right ?
you don't know much about rptv ? what are you watching ?
many hi-def rptv is very good now( in amage quality and price too) , if you like the big picture , it's time to get one , and you can spend some time to set up a HTPC ( home theater pc ) , you can get the best that money can buy !