DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Questioning Premiere's professionality vs Vegas + Size differences (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/21519-questioning-premieres-professionality-vs-vegas-size-differences.html)

David Ho February 17th, 2004 04:34 PM

Questioning Premiere's professionality vs Vegas + Size differences

I have a question. I went over to my friend's house the other door and he had Vegas and Premiere Pro. Now I checked the size, it seemed that his Vegas was only 60-80MB (took up in size) while his Premiere Pro was 500MB (maybe with massive plugins). I asked him why the size was so big, and he told me that Premiere Pro was way diff. than Vegas because it has more professional options/plugins and it is a different NLE system than Vegas. Hmm.. do you guys know if Vegas is suppose to only take up that small amount of space? I thought it would be bigger in size as it is compared to Premiere Pro in terms of professionality and functionality....

Edward Troxel February 17th, 2004 08:49 PM

Vegas is just as professional as Premiere. The actual Vegas download is about 45 Meg total. Now, I don't know why Premiere is so much larger but it's not because "it has more professional options/plugins". In many ways, Premiere Pro was playing catch-up to Vegas.

At this point, the abilities of Vegas and Premiere are very similar. Premiere wins on some points, Vegas wins on other. Just don't use "size" as a comparison.

Bryan McCullough February 17th, 2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edward Troxel
Just don't use "size" as a comparison.
Wise words my friend.

Wise words.

Adrian Douglas February 17th, 2004 10:08 PM

David,

Both Premiere and Vegas are considered "Prosumer" NLE applications but that doesn't mean that they don't produce excellent results. I have both on my system and use them for different tasks. If I can't do something in Premier then I'll try it in Vegas. I find vegas is better at doing the effects work as opposed to straight cutting. I like Premiere for cutting as I've been using it for years and have the keyboard shortcuts down. Vegas is a totally different way of editing to Premiere and can take some getting used to. I'd used Acid Music so picked it up quickly but I still prefer the Premiere way.

The bottom line is use the app you feel most comfortable with. Don't worry about which one is more "professional" than the other as it makes no diference to the final product, only you do.

If you want to learn on something with a view to moving on to bigger and true pro systems then I'd be learning Premiere or better still Avid ExpressDV, which is actually $30 less than Premiere Pro. I'm currently learning Avid and find that Premier has copied many of Avid's shortcuts, especially in the timeline.

David Ho February 18th, 2004 04:45 AM

Hmm.. what about the size differences? What could explain the 50MB vs the 500MB perhaps? Maybe PP has more "plugins/rendering effects/such?"

Edward Troxel February 18th, 2004 08:05 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Ho : Hmm.. what about the size differences? What could explain the 50MB vs the 500MB perhaps? Maybe PP has more "plugins/rendering effects/such?" -->>>

Not necessarily true. You'd need to look at WHAT is in that folder. Maybe they include some examples. Maybe.... Maybe.... Take a look inside and see if there might be some video files or something else that's taking up the space.

David Ho February 18th, 2004 04:24 PM

Are your guys' Vegas/Premiere folders around the same size, too?

Rob Lohman February 18th, 2004 04:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that Adobe includes support stuff (Acrobat reader,
DirectX etc. etc.), demo software, samples and documentation.

The barebones Vegas download is only 50 MB indeed. But if you
add the full blown manuals then it's another 10 MB. You can also
download the samples from their site which adds another 140
MB getting to 200 MB (if you really want to compare)