DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Ulead MSP Dilemma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/22774-ulead-msp-dilemma.html)

Barry Rivadue March 11th, 2004 06:36 PM

Ulead MSP Dilemma

I'm weaning myself away from Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.5, and am immersing myself with Vegas. I decided to put the Ulead program into another computer, where I tried to do a minor bit of editing. But when I tried to make a video file from the timeline I got flagged and stopped dead with a "material might be copy protected"-type message. I was just using titles from the Ulead program! No matter what I did the message wouldn't budge. It's on an XP computer, just like the one it was originally on, where I never received this message. Could it have anything to do with this second computer's firewall or some sort of software security issue interfering? It's funny how the previous computer wasn't affected.

Nick Jushchyshyn March 11th, 2004 06:52 PM

It doesn't sound like an MSP message.
I don't think it checks for anything like that at all in "source material".
What codec were you using to render ?

Have fun.

Barry Rivadue March 11th, 2004 09:23 PM

Pardon my ongoing ignorance, but what would be a sample codec? I think I had it at a 29-something frame rate. I suspect it might be the computer inflicting this on the program, since it sure doesn't make sense otherwise. A big yellow exclamation point appears with the warning.

Nick Jushchyshyn March 12th, 2004 09:37 AM

Codec (COder-DECoder) is the compression method you select when creating your video.

DV-1, MPEG-2, DIVx, Indeo, Sorenson are examples.
These are something like "modules" installed on a computer that MSP will utilize to generate the final output. Since they are outside modules, the codec software can vary from computer-to-computer and would have the opportunity to make it's own "copy protection" evaluation.

I've heard that Microsoft is embedding quite a bit of copy-protection technology into their Windows Media codecs. Do you happen to be rendering to a WMV ?

Barry Rivadue March 12th, 2004 12:17 PM

Doh! Codec! Of course! Well, al I tried to do is save it as an avi file, and couldn't even get that far.

Nick Jushchyshyn March 12th, 2004 01:41 PM

Sheesh. That's just bizaar.
One last thing to check is to make sure you've applied the XP patch to your new install.
6.5 is a fairly old version of the software and it pre-dates XP.
v7 has been shipping for the last year.

This patch (and a few other enhancements) are here on Ulead's site.

Other than that, I've got no idea what to do. I've used MSP for several years now on Win2k and XP systems and haven't seen that message.

Good luck.

Barry Rivadue March 12th, 2004 09:09 PM

Thanks--I'll check into that.

Tim Borek March 16th, 2004 01:19 PM

Is this the error?

"The file may be write protected" 16333:1:2

This problem arose suddenly about two months ago. After repeated installations of MSP6.5 and patches, the problem has gone from bad to worse. Now I can't render out to any other format but AVI, and I'm p*ssed off royally.

Getting a new PC soon (running XP Pro, not Home Ed.) and will be upgrading to MSP 7. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm switching to Vegas Video or Pinnacle Edition.